Discuss Does having your compex and/or 2396 design help towards electrical and electronic HNC? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all (first time posting so apologies if this topic has came up before)

I am looking towards doing my electrical and electronic HNC through teeside open learning and have been told that you can use level 4+5 (compex,design) qualifications as a RPCL (recognition of prior certified learning) does anyone know anything about this?

I want to do my 2396 anyway so am thinking is it worth doing it first if it gives extra credits or helps towards credits? Don't want to seem a cheat but it's all self funded and obviously going to be difficult so would like to give myself the best start possible.

Thankyou for any clarification

I bet that compex design is a tough cookie. Did you find that yourself?

Edit...got confused with you saying level 5.

2396 is level 4 just like the HNC I believe.

I bet that compex design is a tough cookie. Did you find that yourself?

Edit...got confused with you saying level 5.

2396 is level 4 just like the HNC I believe.
Yeah I sort of just copied that part word for word from the website sorry, should of been more clear! Yeah I think the 2396 is level 4 see if I can get on the course later this year! Cheers LeeH

Will do LeeH. Going to send a email today so should get back to me within the next couple of days.

Paignton Pete, I assume that your doing day release? If not teeside university do it open learning for £495 per module so 8 modules is £3960 and they send you any necessary equipment you need for the modules you choose you just have to pay for the return postage!

Thanks dwinston for that.

I'm interested to know a bit more abut the content. I am very much into learning more of the maths, calculations, and physics of electrics than the practical.
Just wanted to know how much of what is in the course.
Cheers

It looks like we are at a similar stage qualification wise!

I recently obtained my CompEx, currently working on HNC via Teesside Uni and looking to book the 2396 very soon.

I have no idea what the 'Project' unit on the HNC requires but I was thinking if would be nice if I could use the Design Project from the 2396 to kill two birds with one stone.

Apologies on the long awaited reply but Teeside university basically got back to me and said to send them all my certs and they'd assess any creditation that could go towards the HNC. So it's not a no but not giving out too many details of what can help.

@AyresomeBoro I haven't actually done my compex yet nor started my HNC I was just trying to figure out what to do first, but your right would be great if you could use the design project as part of the HNC project! I will be looking to start it this year just depends when. Just started a new job and there talking about courses for me so a new adventure awaits!

Apologies on the long awaited reply but Teeside university basically got back to me and said to send them all my certs and they'd assess any creditation that could go towards the HNC. So it's not a no but not giving out too many details of what can help.

@AyresomeBoro I haven't actually done my compex yet nor started my HNC I was just trying to figure out what to do first, but your right would be great if you could use the design project as part of the HNC project! I will be looking to start it this year just depends when. Just started a new job and there talking about courses for me so a new adventure awaits!

Sorry to bring this up again mate.

Was your original question asking -

Does a CompEx qualification add to your credits to allow you to study a HNC?

OR

Does a CompEx qualification add to your credits that actually make up the HNC?

I might have to fire an email off if it’s the latter!

Hi guys,

I know this post has been quiet for a little while. I just wondered what the 'recognized' qualification is for CompEx? I'm interested in doing it and even more so if it adds towards your credits. Whenever i have searched, there seems to be various different courses for it from various different training providers?

Cheers fellas,

Ryan

Just had a reply to say that CompEx can be used for 3o credits at level 4. This means you only have to complete 6 out of the 8 units for the HNC! (still charge you a fee to do this :eek::rolleyes:)
Hi Bud,
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that email would you? Ive recently asked the same question. Id like to arm myself with a bit of info if they come back and tell me a different answer to you.
Cheers

Reply to Does having your compex and/or 2396 design help towards electrical and electronic HNC? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net