Discuss Does it need RCD protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Cleggy

-
Reaction score
Hi all! Just looked at my first commercial job today. Only a few sockets to exchange, and a few light fittings. The installation hasn't been used for about ten years. Re-wireable fusebox,All metalclad boxes and fronts. The premises is going to be a motor garage with public access.i was wondering if I needed RCD protection or am I being over cautious?

is the existing installation sound and secure as it is 10 years old? I know some of the established members here won't tolorate discussing earth wires, so have you established a decent reading at the existing points you intend to swap for new points? you may need to ensure the earthing is adequate which may determin whether RCDs are required, otherwise I would agree only sockets used by ordinary folk.

For the cost of an rcd and given the fact that most garages use 240v power tools and that damp concrete is a good conductor I would put an rcd in at least you have piece of mind then also.

I only he'd a quick look around the premises. I found out on the day that two quotes he'd already been submitted. But these would only just cover materials. Therefore the tester stayed in the van! If I won the job I would want to quote for the install and test and know that the install is totally safe before I leave! So basically if a good earth exists for a safe disconnection time for re-wireables then the fuse box can stay. If so I can compete on price.

It's the extra cost of swapping the re-wireables fuse box for a new RCD CU that will boost the job price, and you know that customers want everything for nothing! Even at the cost of safety!

No just 3bays for car ports. I was just thinking that if the public had access to wander freely, they may tend to poke things they shouldn't!

I think that if a member of the public started poking things in a garage workshop, the'd get told pretty damn quickly to go poke somewhere else.
The mechanics would be classed as being either skilled or instructed.

Reply to Does it need RCD protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock