Discuss Does this install need a rewire as suggested? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

Just about to purchase first home and asked the seller for a EICR as there was a new (ish) consumer unit but no certificate for it.

I can see that there is one major issue and that's been disconnected.

But apart from that bedroom/circuit does the rest the house need a rewire?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330_131215_OneDrive.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20230330_131224_OneDrive.jpg
    490.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20230330_131237_OneDrive.jpg
    533.1 KB · Views: 52
On the basis of the items identified in the report I cannot see how it has been categorised as unsatisfactory.

There are only C3s - and not so many anyhow, it would have to have C1s and/or C2s to really be unsatisfactory.

Had the offending circuit remained live - then yes it would be unsatisfactory.

Obviously we can't actually see the state of the installation, but from that report, I would say it needs that one circuit sorted out (purely so you have sockets available in those areas), and should just sort the other C3s out whilst doing it.

I would ask why it is unsatisfactory if there are actually no C1s or C2s currently.

On the basis of the items identified in the report I cannot see how it has been categorised as unsatisfactory.

There are only C3s - and not so many anyhow, it would have to have C1s and/or C2s to really be unsatisfactory.

Had the offending circuit remained live - then yes it would be unsatisfactory.

Obviously we can't actually see the state of the installation, but from that report, I would say it needs that one circuit sorted out (purely so you have sockets available in those areas), and should just sort the other C3s out whilst doing it.

I would ask why it is unsatisfactory if there are actually no C1s or C2s currently.
Thank you for the reply

Would the issue that no certificate for the CU installation has been given or any indication on the CU box. And then it's there just to cover their back that they require a brand new rewire.

Madness - they seek to have given you a fairly satisfactory report (after disconnecting the obviously faulty circuit), and then told you that the whole place needs a re-wire!

Did they say anything to you about why they recommended rewiring? There may be something we're not aware of.

90% of places don't have an installation certificate, some may have had - but now lost, and many others never had them (although as time goes on, fewer and fewer should end up with no certificate).

The only point I think is that when the CU was replaced, there should have been a certificate issued, and proper notice to the local authority must have been made. (Assuming the new property is in Wales).

In fairness, this probably didn't happen, so it may be worth going through your solicitor to confirm that part P notification was done - if it wasn't perhaps that's a bit of leverage for you, but either way it's not too much to worry about

90% of places don't have an installation certificate, some may have had - but now lost, and many others never had them (although as time goes on, fewer and fewer should end up with no certificate).

The only point I think is that when the CU was replaced, there should have been a certificate issued, and proper notice to the local authority must have been made. (Assuming the new property is in Wales).

In fairness, this probably didn't happen, so it may be worth going through your solicitor to confirm that part P notification was done - if it wasn't perhaps that's a bit of leverage for you, but either way it's not too much to worry about
No. There was no building control certificate which is why I requested an inspection be carried out. Only as the consumer unit looked fairly new (5 years and under) see photo below.

This photo was taken prior to the inspection

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230330_142612_Gallery.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Madness - they seek to have given you a fairly satisfactory report (after disconnecting the obviously faulty circuit), and then told you that the whole place needs a re-wire!

Did they say anything to you about why they recommended rewiring? There may be something we're not aware of.
They didn't say.

It did throw me too as the rest of the installation to the naked eye looks ok. Otherwise it would have been more C1,2 (I assume).

Would one C1 which has now been disconnected have such a drastic issue as a full rewire. Surely just that circuit would need a new circuit or extended from the bedrooms that don't seem to have no earth in the cable.

Thank you both your advice it's very much appreciated

No. There was no building control certificate which is why I requested an inspection be carried out. Only as the consumer unit looked fairly new (5 years and under) see photo below.

This photo was taken prior to the inspection

The consumer unit in that picture doesn't match the EICR you have posted.

Circuit 4 on the EICR is a 16A socket circuit but in the CU appears to be a 6A lighting circuit.

I would be asking for a refund citing the findings in this thread or you will be seeking advice from the NICEIC, findings being they are not using the correct Report format and the schedule does not correlate to your consumer unit. I would also be asking can they be providing further information regarding it requires a rewire, can they substantiate this statement.

Reply to Does this install need a rewire as suggested? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net