Discuss Does this look like asbestos in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It could be Supalux which is apparently asbestos free but samples have been taken from this material which have identified the presence of asbestos probably from production contamination. Only one way to find out and that is by expert opinion/testing.

Looks like the heat proof asbestos the stuff they normally stick behind boilers

With the sparkly bits it looks like Supalux but there is no guarantee this is asbestos free. As above in the early days it was produced on lines which previously made Asbestolux which contained asbestos so there was some cross contamination. There was also cheap imports which contained asbestos so never assume a sparkly board to be asbestos free.

I found the same in townhouse in East Lothian. Brought it to the homeowners attention, and they arranged to have it tested.
Went back a few months later for another job and found it painted in gloss white paint. Nothing had been removed.
I think as long as it’s undamaged, and not going to be disturbed, it’s safe.
However, over time DB’s do need changed, meters get changed. It’s just better to have it removed if you can.

If undisturbed, it's ok, but I agree, things do change and better to get rid of it.
I passed a chap pressure-washing his garage roof a few years ago...it was that corrugated asbestos sheeting...ok if left alone, but when I said to him it wasn't the best idea, he just laughed and said "It's coming up really nice!"

If undisturbed, it's ok, but I agree, things do change and better to get rid of it.
I passed a chap pressure-washing his garage roof a few years ago...it was that corrugated asbestos sheeting...ok if left alone, but when I said to him it wasn't the best idea, he just laughed and said "It's coming up really nice!"
"It's coming up really nice!"

along with the bits of his lungs.

The answer to "does this look like asbestos" is exactly the same as the answer to "does this look like I've got an STD"

I'm not sure, but if you're worried enough to be asking, then get an expert to check it out.

we all got STD in the late 70's, courtesy of GPO morphing into british telecom. subscriber trunk dialling. never did any harm.

STD! Subscriber Trunk Dialling...oh, how we rejoiced in those days!
I rmember my dad phoning me from teneriffe at exactly 8pm on a wednesday...and you could hear the coins running down the chute and into the callbox, and you got 2 minutes for about a pound...
Fast forward to my first (analog) car phone. and you got about 1 minute for 2 pounds...but looked a right nob on the motorway!

I work with asbestos on a daily basis and this looks highly suspect for being positive for asbestos plus the age of the property further adds to the suspicion. Only way to tell for sure is to have a sample analysed and I would recommend a water absorption test to check it isnt AIB (Asbestos Insulating Board) which is highly friable and more dangerous. Your correct in saying if left alone then asbestos doesnt pose a risk but only if in good condition and sealed which the edges in your photos clearly aren’t

As above . My sister lived in a house in Hendon London , the house had blown air electric heating . The cupboard the unit was housed in was lined with asbestos board that looked the same as the board in your pic.

Duplicate post . First post for ages and I get a duplicate lol.

pretty sure thats the same stuff that used to line the college building i went to built 60s/70s, one of several class clowns sniffed a big line of this stuff in 1st year, it got ripped out the next year and we were informed it was because of asbestos

Reply to Does this look like asbestos in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock