Discuss Does underfloor heating need an earth? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Grant M

Must underfloor heating always have an earth?

I was under the impression that it always needed an earth, but a builder I sometimes do work for has already put it down and there are only two wires and no earth at all.I know that normally the earth is the metal sheathing that comes with the live and neutral. He says it doesn't come with an earth nor does it need one.

Regards.

It may be the matting type were the conductors are enclosed in a plastic sheath rather than a metal element type.

as both previous posts.some types are earthed, some are class 2. depends. if you only got 2 wires, then just earth to the FCU.

753.411.3.2.....where heating units are supplied without exposed conductive parts,an earthed grid shall be installed above the floor heating elements.....also see 701.753 for installations in bathrooms where the same applies.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its the braided wire type of sheathing then you unbraid it down to the plastic sheath, then twist it all together so its looks like flex then pop it in some earth sleeving and earth as normal.

Yeah that's what I've been doing but it's really fiddly right?

I do this on heat trace cable for off shore hoses that we manufacture.
Manufacturers instructions tell you to open a gap in the braiding and pull the inner sheath through it then sleeve and terminate................rough as a badgers tbh.

I meticulously separate every strand then twist it all together to get a 4mm size core which is then crimped with a 4mm terminal then sleeved and glue impregnated heat shrink applied to the joint............beautiful earth it makes and looks lol

Fiddly..........yes.
Worth the effort...........hell yes:)

2 and a half year old thread here boys would have been better as a new thread..... but as a answer use SY glands with a banjo to ensure the braiding is earthed at the supply end.... although it shouldn't be used as an earth you should have a separate earth core. If you are using it from an inverter for a motor then ensure you follow the manufacturers instructions on how to earth the braiding up and where as RF interference may be generated if done incorrectly.

I'm afraid I've never found it too fiddly, a bit time consuming unbraiding without breaking too many strands, but straightforward enough. I like the idea of pulling the cable through a gap in the braid, as that would save unlaying it all and risking breaking strands. I've never seen an SY gland, but if its made for this you may as well use it.

Twisting SWA armour into an earth and sleeving it is a real pain in the botty! ;)

I'm afraid I've never found it too fiddly, a bit time consuming unbraiding without breaking too many strands, but straightforward enough. I like the idea of pulling the cable through a gap in the braid, as that would save unlaying it all and risking breaking strands. I've never seen an SY gland, but if its made for this you may as well use it.

Twisting SWA armour into an earth and sleeving it is a real pain in the botty! ;)

Sy glands have a slot either side of the thread entry where the braiding fits into so you have to half it basically.
Not easy to do if you haven't separated the wires lol

yep, and then your thumbs and fingers resemble pin cushions. awful stuff.

Sy glands have a slot either side of the thread entry where the braiding fits into so you have to half it basically.
Not easy to do if you haven't separated the wires lol
yes but your only playing with an inch of braiding so shouldnt be the biggest of tasks

yes but your only playing with an inch of braiding so shouldnt be the biggest of tasks

Very true but I was just explaining to him what they looked like as he hadn't seen them before.
Hardly a task separating the wires for those glands,as you say,as I normally snip all the excess off first when using them.:)

I looked 'em up now. I don't really see the advantage of them over separating and twisting into a single earth. Maybe I'm missing something.

Reply to Does underfloor heating need an earth? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock