Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Doing commercial electrical work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net



Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum


Hello everyone, as this is my first post.

Now im not meaning to put any electricians out of work or do any like that with this post. Iv just always had problems finding this out.

I am a professional datacable and IT solution provider, so I do alot of work similar to electricians. Most of my work is in commercial premises, I was wondering what the requirements are by UK Law for doing electrical work in commercial building??

Most of the stuff I seem to find says "competent person". I am mainly looking at this from the point of maybe moving the occational socket for a datacabinet, or repairing a broken one etc.

I hope you can help :)
Many Thanks

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Hi, it all comes down to what a competent person is. Had this conversation with many sparkys. Can someone whos took a short crash course in electrics, pass their 16th edition and set up their own business with a name logo and van, call them selfs an electrician? In theory they are an "electrician" but really with no experience can they call themselves an electrician?

What is a competent person? someone who is skilled, has the knowledge, experienced, qualified?. ( thats what a competent person is in my eyes )

anyways heres some information I picked up off the net, for the competent person

Non-notifiable electrical work

Some work is classed as 'non-notifiable', and this work can be carried out by a non-certified individual without notification although, obviously, the individual does need to be competent. Non-notifiable electrical work covers:

Replacement of fittings such as sockets, switches and light fittings.
Replacement of the cable for a single circuit where it has been damaged.
Work that is not in the bathroom or kitchen and consists of:
Adding additional lighting, light fittings and switches, to an existing circuit.
Adding additional sockets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial main.
Installing additional earth bonding.


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

This is the sort of confusion ive come accross. Do the non notifiable things apply to commercial premises to, because they sound very similar to the Part P information?




  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
The answer to the question is simple. Work carried out in commercial buildings is not notifiable, unless the commercial premises shares the same electric supply as a domestic premises. Eg We recently worked in a pub which had a privately owned flat above it, they shared common supply, in which case work in the pub was notifiable. This is the 1st time I have come across this in 31years.

However, in your case even in you were to come across a similar scenario to this the replacement of a broken socket is defined as maintenance and is not notifiable. If you wire a socket, it could be notifiable, but depends on its location.

By the way Scotty definition is absolutely correct in term of HSWA and therefore electricity regs.


  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
Thank you for your responses.

It is clear now, I just wasnt sure I had the right idea about the regulation as I couldnt find out information about this. You are most helpful.

Many Thanks Again



  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
So long as you can show that your work complies with BS7671 & you have complied with EAWR 1989 (electricity at work regulation), the second of wich is a statutory regulation so would be the one you were taken to court over if somebody were injured or worse by any work you had undertaken, you have no worries.
EAWR description of a competent person:
  • Persons to be competent to prevent danger and injury
    16. No person shall be engaged in any work activity where technical knowledge or experience is necessary to prevent danger or, where appropriate, injury, unless he possesses such knowledge or experience, or is under such degree of supervision as may be appropriate having regard to the nature of the work.

Reply to Doing commercial electrical work in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom