• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss doing my 2391-10 in june in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

saudkhan

Hi

has any one got past exam paper which i can practice with for my June exam.

Thanking you all in advance

Saud khan:icon12::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what you need,Go to the ECS web site and download a PDF called Practical guide to inspection,testing and certification of electrical installations, its got a hugh amount of info, let me know if you find it, if not i might be able to up load it soon, Cant at the mo havent got my usb key with it on. Doing mine on the 7th of june. some stuff on ebay if you want to pay, check out a seller called ON DISC on ebay. I bought a disk for £4.50 and its really good, its called "2391 testing and inspecting course get qualified".

Constantly read page 90-103 of the new OSG also buy the City & Guilds Exam Success: Inspection and Testing (IEE Wiring Regulations) this book has 2 sets of questions plus answers and guides you throughout the written exam very good book.
In the exam you should use correct terminology and RTFQ which stand for (read the ****ing questions) also underline the relevant stuff in the scenario i.e what type of premises, wiring system, type of CB, RCBO's, trunking is it a new installation or existing one or both.
Learn the 18 point check list
The sequence of tests
IP codes
How to draw the Earth fault loop paths for TT, TN-S and TN-C-S to much to mention on here, but good look with your exam and practicals.

Tread carefully with the stuff off ebay. The 2391 is now delivered in line with 1st amendment, so a lot of the stuff on there will be out of date. The only thing i would be looking at for the time being is the new GN3. GN3 is all you need to know for the 2391/4/5. Learn that and you will not have any problems with any questions C&G throw at you.

I will however strongly recommend the updated testing books from the NICEIC, i bought their special offer "TESTBUN" package, and its brilliant especially for completing the EICR paperwork.

Cheers............Howard

Hi all in the forum
I am a chief examiner for Inspection and test for an alternative exam body to City and Guilds. I just wondered if candidates were aware of the amount of information actually on the C&G website. Click here:
Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations | Construction and Building | Electrical installation | City & Guilds
and it will take you to an information page which is all in the public domain so no secrets given away, and you will find all the C&G chief examiners reports over about a year on what candidates tend to do wrong in the 2391 and where many of the marks are lost.
Good luck with the exams. If you find the site a little user unfriendly please say and can help you along with it.
Kind regards
John

Also keep it simple don't write to much, use bullet points to describe how to do tests, even use diagrams which are fully labelled. I find people who do the course now what they want to say, but when it comes to putting pen to paper they just go blank? Don't drink red bulls lol.

Also keep it simple don't write to much, use bullet points to describe how to do tests, even use diagrams which are fully labelled. I find people who do the course now what they want to say, but when it comes to putting pen to paper they just go blank? Don't drink red bulls lol.
Thanks

Have a look at Brittania training website. They have a load of test papers for £2 a go or £27 for the lot. I would recommend all the papers. I used these amongst any others I could get my hands on. Its amazing how quickly the time goes, and I like how doing these papers get you used to exam conditions and how quickly the times goes.

I would also practice drawing the earth fault loop impedance path for TT, TNS and TNCS and learn them off by heart. I was shocked at how long this took the first time I tried it at home. I eventually got it off pat and could draw it in minuets. This will leave more time for the harder questions.

Another tip, use all the proper names in full i.e A earth fault loop impedance tester is not shortened to a 'megger' Even though thats what we all know it by.

City and Guilds: 2391 Sample Questions

1.*** Indicate THREE main items for which you would require relevant information, in order to correctly carry out an initial verification of a new installation

2.*** There are various documents that are relevant to the Inspection and Testing of an installation. State

******* a)*** one statutory document***

******* b)*** two non-statutory documents

3.*** A Completion certificate should be accompanied by signed documentation regarding three stages of an installation. What are these stages?

4.**** State THREE areas of investigation that you would consider when carrying out a periodic inspection and test if an installation.

5.**** State THREE human senses that could be used during an inspection of an installation.

6.*** List the instruments which, during a test on an installation, gave the following readings.

******* a)*** 20 M Ohm

******* b)*** 8kA

******* c)*** 22mS

7.*** With reference to insulation resistance testing, state the tabulated test voltages to be applied and the minimum tabulated acceptable value of resistance for EACH of the following circuits.

******* a)*** SELV circuit

******* b)*** LV circuit up to 500V

******* c)*** LV circuit over 500V

8.*** List, in the correct sequence, the FIRST THREE tests that should be carried out during an initial verification on a new domestic installation.

9.*** The test for the continuity of a CPC in a radical circuit feeding one socket outlet using a temporary link and a milli-ohmmeter.* State

******* a)*** where the temporary link is connected

******* b)*** where the milli-ohmmeter is connected

******* c)*** what the meter reading represents

10.*** List THREE different protective conductors that would need to be connected to the main earthing terminal of an installation.

11.*** The following readings were obtained during the initial test of a healthy ring final circuit

******* - P1 to P2 - 0.8 ohms
******* - N1 to N2 - 0.8 ohms
******* - CPC1 to CPC2 - 0.8 ohms
******* a)*** What readings would you expect after cross connection

*************** i)*** Between P and N conductors at each socket outlet

*************** ii)*** Between P and CPC at each socket outlet

******* b)*** What does the P to CPC reading represent

12.*** State the effect of

******* a)*** Conductor resistance when conductor length increases

******* b)*** Insulation resistance when cable length increases

******* c)*** Conductor resistance when conductor csa increases

13.*** List three precautions to be taken prior to commencing an insulation resistance test on an installation

14.*** An enclosure has been fabricated on site to house electrical equipment which is not exposed to water. State the IP codes that the enclosure should comply with as a minimum requirement

15.*** State the degree of protection provided by enclosures offering the following:

******* a)*** IPXXB

******* b)*** IP4X

******* c)*** IPX8

16.*** State THREE reasons for conducting a polarity test on an installation

17.*** Identify the earthing systems that are attributed to the following:

******* a)*** An overhead line supply with no earth

******* b)*** A multicore supply cable with a separate neutral and earth

******* c)*** A supply cable in which the functions of earth and the neutral are performed by one conductor

18.*** State three locations where additional requirements may apply to electrical installations

19.*** State what is represented by

******* a)*** Ze

******* b)*** Zs

******* c)*** R2

20.*** State any three functional tests that may be carried out on a domestic installation.

GN3 now has the new green book available, buy it and keep it with you reading it as much as possible until the exam, highlight sentences tht keep cropping up in past papers i.e purpose of initial verification, these are ur BANKER questions tht are in almost every exam.

Section B question 21 is a BANKER they always ask the same senario questions there.

Drawing an earth fault loop is a BANKER tht u can make up big points, there are several variations of the earth fault loop in different publications, i say look at them all but the one in C&G's Exam Success as its written by an examiner is as close to what you want

Also remember the 1st ammendments is out, so places like ebay or brittania training are still sell test papers with old regs, even the C&G Exam Success book is out of date, the questions are fine but some answers are wrong.

Also read the chief examiners reports.

good luck mate

Last edited:
The last couple of 2391 exams have asked about using your senses, and also give examples depending on the scenario in one of the last 6 questions. They might ask you how to draw the PFC or describe with the aid of a fully labelled diagram step 1,2 and 3 of the RFC, or even like March describe how to do a RCBO test, and dont forget the .8 Rule of thumb calculation for max Zs and resistance of conductors in parallel 1/Rt. You might even get a schedule of test results and they will ask you to find 7 things on sheet to do with the test results which are not correct.

Hi all in the forum
I am a chief examiner for Inspection and test for an alternative exam body to City and Guilds. I just wondered if candidates were aware of the amount of information actually on the C&G website. Click here:
Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Verification of Electrical Installations | Construction and Building | Electrical installation | City & Guilds
and it will take you to an information page which is all in the public domain so no secrets given away, and you will find all the C&G chief examiners reports over about a year on what candidates tend to do wrong in the 2391 and where many of the marks are lost.
Good luck with the exams. If you find the site a little user unfriendly please say and can help you along with it.
Kind regards
John

Hi mate i found this when i was dong my 2391 and it was good in showing areas THAT PEOPLE FAILED because off incorrect terminolgy or misreading and as a result was the areas i focused a lot on
some of the terminology and way questions are wrote can be misleading

Last edited:
Hi all in the forum
Kind regards
John

Hi mate

Could you explain why some questions are so Misleading in the way it is written? Is it because they have run out of different ways to ask the same question?
Also could you give us more info on the pass grades etc? thks

Last edited:

Reply to doing my 2391-10 in june in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back