Discuss doing my own work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

geffg

hi, i am looking to get extension on my house, and wondering what to do about elec works. i am an electrician and the work only involves another light and extra 2 sockets in extension. only asking does anyone ask for a certificate etc once work done? not had any building work done to own house or been involved in domestic work involving building regs etc as always worked for companys doing commercial work, so dont know if would be asked for a cert for work done.

A light and extra 2 sockets in extension sounds like a new circuit and this is definitely a notifiable job. You need to inform your LABC before commencing your work. Good luck!

if the work does not involve a new circuit, then it's aMWC and not notifiable. only if it's new circuit/s.

A light and extra 2 sockets in extension sounds like a new circuit and this is definitely a notifiable job. You need to inform your LABC before commencing your work. Good luck!

considering he is looking at building an extension on his property LABC will be involved any way!!! :)

and 1 light and 2 sockets can be extended from current installation so only MWC
but ensure all bonding is in place!!

the extension is only a bedroom. the garage sticks out from house so only extending on top of this. yes it will just be extending lighting and 2 sockets from existing, so looks like will only need mwc. as im altering lighting circuit i take it i will have to swap circuit over to rcd side of board! just a bit of nuisance to get cert for such little work. only just started with new company who are based in scotland so all our certs go up there to be signed off etc never to be seen again.

if its not notifiable does that mean i wont need to get a cert?

ALL ELECTRICAL WORK NEEDS A CERT...!!

Notifiable work means it also has to be submitted to Building control..! (in your case Building control will be dealing with extension automatically by default so its a catch 22...) normally any work in premises that involve new circuits / outdoor circuits / modification to circuits in bath or kitchen rooms or new consumer units has to be notified to building control

Last edited by a moderator:
Your BCO will want to see relevant certificates for any electrical work carried out as part of the build. Without these he may refuse to sign the completion certificate.

There are loads of questions on forums everywhere from people who have built something, done the electrics themselves and then want to get a 'certificate' for the BCO. And they seem to think any electrician can just come and write them one!! It can end up costing more to sort it all out afterward than it would have cost to hire a registered electrician in the first place!!

My understanding is that when you make your planning application you can state that electrics are being done by a registered electrician or you can request testing and sign off from LABC. Why not ask your LABC how to proceed when you do your application? There will, of course, be a fee.

God help us from the bureaucratic state!
A qualified electrician has to get a probably less skilled electrician in to do work. All because of bloody paperwork.

Geffg, I hope you can twist their arm for a reasonable rate.

For years this industry has been dominated by self centred ruling bodies that only see ££££’s to be made. Nothing but moans from the members but no action.
OK most of you are members of these schemes and consequently the cost to your customers goes up, enter Polish Joe, the customers costs come down and probably their house up in flames.
The regulations are strangling an industry that is a credit to us all!

I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Just don’t ask me about the EEPTU / Amacus!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to doing my own work in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net