Discuss Doing work without a qualification in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

thereballer

Hi all.

I'm an experienced electrician that can pretty much wire a house etc. The down fall is I do not have any qualifications. In today's world people say it is experience over qualification.

I'm self employed but in the computer world as in I repair hardware. I hate it and wish to go back to what I love: electrical work.

Can I take on small jobs such as adding extra sockets, light switches etc in someone's home without any qualifications (for the time being)? Yes I would form a ltd company and get me public liability insurance. Currently I bought the BS 7671 17th edition book (Green) and I'm going through it but I need to make money while I work. I need someone to tell me if I can do small jobs until I take the £150 exam.

Thanks!

Well in order to do work in folks homes, you need to be ​competent.​ If anything goes wrong and you end up in court, qualifications may go a long way to prove that you are. In order to do notifiable work, you realistically need qualifications in order to join a Part P scam. You could carry out small non-notifiable jobs so long as you are doing proper testing and issuing certs, but I'd definitely get a few bits of paper under your belt ASAP.

Sorry, but you are not an experienced electrician you've no qualifications, you can't even do the most basic (wire a house) so leave the electrical work to the experts. Another wind up I fear lol

Sorry, but you are not an experienced electrician you've no qualifications, you can't even do the most basic (wire a house) so leave the electrical work to the experts. Another wind up I fear lol

A morning laugh ;) I am well experienced ( 4 years) with other qualifications but not from this country. Yes I'm not experienced in this country but I assume the standard is the same.

Well in order to do work in folks homes, you need to be ​competent.​ If anything goes wrong and you end up in court, qualifications may go a long way to prove that you are. In order to do notifiable work, you realistically need qualifications in order to join a Part P scam. You could carry out small non-notifiable jobs so long as you are doing proper testing and issuing certs, but I'd definitely get a few bits of paper under your belt ASAP.
Thanks! I'll "run" through the bs 7671 book and get that cert before I advertise myself.

A morning laugh ;) I am well experienced ( 4 years) with other qualifications but not from this country. Yes I'm not experienced in this country but I assume the standard is the same.

Thanks! I'll "run" through the bs 7671 book and get that cert before I advertise myself.

Google Elecsa, Napit and NICEIC, get their numbers, then call then. They should be able to tell you if your "overseas" qualifications have any standing in this country.

If not, you need to understand their requirements, then embark on spending the time and money to achieve the necessary.

As for "assuming" the standards are the same - I doubt this is true.

It's the old I can do electrics they are easy

just connect brown to positive and blue to negative then green and yellow to earth

Can't be as hard a puters

echo "yeah right";

You're not! An experienced electrician can "pretty much wire a house" in his/her sleep! You are what is known as a chancer
Nothing is wrong with your opinion on something you've never encounter with before. You don't know me so how can you say I cant wire a house, say a three bedroom? Anyway I know what I can and cannot do so no harm towards me.

Nothing is wrong with your opinion on something you've never encounter with before. You don't know me so how can you say I cant wire a house, say a three bedroom? Anyway I know what I can and cannot do so no harm towards me.
I've encountered many a chancer in my time and can spot them from a mile away when blindfolded. By your own admission "I can pretty much wire a house" you are not fully conversant with the most basic aspect of the electrical trade. No harm will probably come to you but can you guarantee that no harm will come to your customers because you have no clue as to what you are doing? I can guarantee the safety of my installations when I walk away from them.
For pity's sake man you can't even be bothered to take a five week wonder course, at least then you'd have SOME little clue.
At best you're a wind up merchant (albeit a pretty poor one) at worst you're a danger.

So tell me. What is SO different wiring an American home 110v; 220v most texas homes with the British home? Rocket science???? You all think im a college pal never touched a wire before or dont know the different wires to use in a circuit? You all make me laugh.

Hi all.

I'm an experienced electrician that can pretty much wire a house etc. The down fall is I do not have any qualifications. In today's world people say it is experience over qualification.

I'm self employed but in the computer world as in I repair hardware. I hate it and wish to go back to what I love: electrical work.

Can I take on small jobs such as adding extra sockets, light switches etc in someone's home without any qualifications (for the time being)? Yes I would form a ltd company and get me public liability insurance. Currently I bought the BS 7671 17th edition book (Green) and I'm going through it but I need to make money while I work. I need someone to tell me if I can do small jobs until I take the £150 exam.

Thanks!

Please clarify, the "pretty much " statement as that says you are quite sure if you can actually do it.

So tell me. What is SO different wiring an American home 110v; 220v most texas homes with the British home? Rocket science???? You all think im a college pal never touched a wire before or dont know the different wires to use in a circuit? You all make me laugh.

BS7671 will be what you work too here, in the States I imagine they have there own version which will be nothing like ours.

Now that is the difference.

In that case why don't you come clean as to what these other qualifications are and what level of experience you have?
Anybody can come on too an open electrical forum spouting conflicting information but the facts remain you have either got it or you haven't so lay your cards on the table then you may get some serious advice.

Ok then, tell us the necessary steps in properly designing a domestic electrical installation since you know so much about it. You can then tell us how to go about inspecting and testing it to make sure it is safe to energise. Perhaps you could tell us why the test procedure is in the order that it is, after energising what tests are then required and why.
There you go, some nice easy questions to start you off considering you're so au fait with "pretty much wiring a house"

I don't need to prove myself. I only came here to know the legal requirements before doing work in this country. As I got the answers I needed: get the bs 7671 which seems to be the uk standard of things and other regulatory body etc

Yes I do sounded like I don't know Jack but that's how I speak :) When I'm home ill get back to the other questions.

Reply to Doing work without a qualification in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net