Discuss dol starter needed for converted 1 phase bradbury car ramp? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

madder

Hi everyone. Our ancient Bradbury car ramp died a few weeks ago. Eventually after replacing the 3 phase IMO contacter and thermal my sparky concluded the motor was fried. Faced with the expense of changing the motor I decided to go down the 1 phase 2pole cap start cap run solution supplied through mm engineering. I've aligned and bolted the new motor in and now have to wait for my sparky. However my question is with the 3phase contactor it stored a charge to start the motor would a 230 dol starter actually do anything other than power on/power off. As the caps are now on the motor. I'm hydraulic up gravity release down so only need single direction. The motor set me back £236 shipped.

Are you sure the 3 phase starter wasn't just a DOL? I don't think there are any starters out there which store charge to start motors!

The DOL motor starter as you say provides switching but also provides motor overload protection.

I'm not entirely sure what your question is though?

Why didn't you just have the motor rewound .. I'd expect it to be cheaper than you above option!...

Did your Electrician come across as been competent and professional or was he 'I think' - 'I might be' kind of talk seen when your basic Electrician delves into things out of his comfort zone?

Why haven't you ask this to your Electrician before posting on here... surely he's had first hand on sight involvement with this and far better position to advise.

"stored a charge to start the motor" the capacitors on the single phase motor are for start and run reasons

...If you have modified the power-pack (hydraulic pump) to operate using a single phase motor,then you will need new control gear,isolators etc,which in turn will require test and inspect re;LOLER,PUWER. If you know these do not apply to the situation it is used in,then quite a lot is possible,i have even rigged one that operated via a 12 volt tipper unit,powered by the vehicle itself,for use in a remote agricultural location. As said,your electrician needs to be questioned,employed or dismissed before probing others...Aliens did this to me...i still have dreams...

Think we lost this thread ... no reply from OP and not sure his Electrical knowledge is very good and have an idea he's trying this on his own, if he was using an Electrician as suggested why is he on here unless his Electrician was lacking in advice due to lack of competence.

Last edited:

Reply to dol starter needed for converted 1 phase bradbury car ramp? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock