Discuss Domestic client has purchased 4kw kit wants us to do electrics and sign in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wiggly

Guys,
Citys have sold this client a 4kw kit he has approached us to do the electrics, and fully sign off for mcs,

can we do this and what are the implications for doing this.

Thanks

Wiggly

I can see no problem as long as all the kit is on the MCS approved list.

All the warranty and liability issues pass to the customer as they bought the kit and I would make sure that the paperwork system is watertight including a signed letter from the customer.
Your paperwork ( quote, cancellation,SAP calc, handover pack etc etc ) will still need to be in place in case you get a REAL audit.

As i understand it, the system has to be deigned, supplied, installed and commissioned by the accredited MCS contractor. Its a bit like registering a rewire Billy down the pub has done on the cheap. Its easy money but does the industry as a whole harm in the longer term.
Jobs like this spread the idea that you can get anyone to do the work so long as you know a spark who will sign it off for you !!

Tell him to **^%$$^&&

Not for me thanks. Don't want to take the blame when someone else's kit goes wrong. Either I do the whole job (and take responsibility) or nothing at all.

Did the guy consider the VAT implications of doing this?

Guys,
Thanks for the responses yeah hes wanting it on the cheap no paperwork but signed off how does that work lol.

So weve told him to do one.
Doesnt feel right as whinmoor mentioned what happens if it goes wrong the kit has been supplied with a chint invertor that we have no knowledge of either.
wiggly

It's not cheap when he's paying 20% VAT to a supplier but would only pay 5% to an installer who would use his experience to design the whole system properly.

If he supplies the kit, then any warranty issues are not your problem, you only warranty the install.

As said above he has paid over the odds because of the VAT angle.

As I understand it post no 3 is correct, you have to design, supply and install the system for it to be compliant.

"Where contractors do not engage in the design or supply of solar PV systems, but work solely asan installer for a client who has already commissioned a system design; then the contractor must
be competent to review and verify that the design would meet the design requirements set out in
this standard and this should be recorded.
"
from MCS 3002 Issue 2.1

We turned one of these down this time last year - guy got someone to do it for him and they are popping up all over the place, really awful installations - one in the Sun Lounge a couple of months ago. Worst of it is I'm worried that people will think we've installed them - lost about a dozen jobs by sticking to my principles and being honest. Sleeping at night though ....

Reply to Domestic client has purchased 4kw kit wants us to do electrics and sign in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock