Discuss Domestic Electrical Installation Certificates or Periodic Inspection Report in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Just changed my first consumer unit without a hitch. Now time for inspection and testing :(

I dont have any previous Domestic Electrical Installation Certificates or any plans or schedule of test results (STR) or schedule of inspection (SI). So that means i cant use Periodic Inspection Report right?

From my understanding I should conduct an "initial verifcation" and use the Electrical Installation Certification with new STR and SI route to ensure safety and complaince of the installation.

Can any one of you learned gentle care of corroberate this?

thanks

DD368

You can not supply an Periodic Inspection Report or the new Electrical Installation Condition Report to cover your CU change you need to supply an Electrical Installation Certificate even if there were already existing documentation.

Your new EIC should cover just the changing of the CU and be explicit in the work you have done.

There is nothing stopping you also carrying out a PIR on the existing installation if you so wish as well if you want, quite a few guys do this as part of their service on a board change

Ok great but i thought th EIC should cover the existing circuits also because i am touching an exsting installation and i must make sure it is safe to reinstate.You know tests like continuity of CPC, bonding, ring, insulation res, polarity, earth resistance, earth falut loos and functional? if you still disagree what tests would i do just for the consumer unit change?

thanks

DD368

you do as much testing of the circuits as you think fit. obviously, you will do IR, Zs, polarity, and check earthing and bonding, so you may as well record these readings on the SI and STR. but in trhe section entitled " extent of work" you would put "CU change only" and any other work carried out.

Last edited:

Reply to Domestic Electrical Installation Certificates or Periodic Inspection Report in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net