Discuss Domestic Electrical Issue - Live Volts in House but Not Getting Shocks. Any Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

R Yates

Hi All, firstly to introduce myself I'm not an electrician but was hoping to get a bit of advice on an electrical issue I have. Basically we wanted to get a boiler service but the plumber would not touch the boiler as he said we have electrical volts running through the house (radiators, sink, boiler, plug sockets etc). There is a link to the videos below to explain this.

Dropbox - Electrics Issue - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/umynb3ta0j7sdo4/AABwsQkPwfBwDvdoe7LrtMpXa?dl=0

We are not getting any shocks and apparently it is running through all circuits in the house. Every electrician we have talked to is baffled by it. I was wondering whether anyone has ever come across this and what advice you may have on how to proceed/what may be causing it?

Many thanks in advance as I appreciate this is a first post.

Shame you didn't put up a video of an electrician investigating. I would set absolutely no credence in what I just saw as a test. Could be as low as 12v with those testers. And if every electrician is baffled by it well I can't believe you have spoken to an electrician.

Hi RY and welcome to the forum !
Sorry you are having problems and I support the previous posts that it needs a proper test.

What type of supply coming in? TT or TN-C-S? I would be checking out the earth back at the main DB... it suggests to me that there is no earth connected. If TT is there an earth rod, if so is it giving a good earth reading? If TN-C-S is there a earth cable to the terminal provided by the rec?

@ OP.ifyou are the right side of munchester ( i.e. the west ) it's just within my theatre of operations.

Thanks all for the quick replies. The plumber recommended an electrician who had never seen it before and spent hours looking for the problem to no avail. We then got another electrician with a good reputation who came out one evening, it's 75v that is flowing through everything and he said he cannot understand why the RCD is not kicking in. We are not getting any kind of tingling (the electrician said it wold feel like a static shock). He said it would be investigate work to try to find the source to start with and worst case scenario a potential rewire at up to £3-4k. There were more details but didn't get chance to write it all down so I'm not sure about the supply Andy but I'll find out.

I admit I don't fully understand the details/implications which is why I wanted to reach out to see if there were any pointers/anyone who had come across this before given the potential end cost.

Telectrix we are north west gtr Manchester.

Again, appreciate the help so far from everyone

They said it would be investigative work to start with to find the source of the issue but that they couldn't promise they would find it. So I said if it can't be found what is the worst case scenario and that is when a rewire was mentioned.

They could turn off circuits one by one and narrow it down that way. Then standard break down of that circuit (it is unlikely to be more than one) to identify a cable someone put a nail through. Clearly it is something like that. There are quite a few simple things to narrow it down pretty quickly. But I do agree with the spark who said he can't understand why the RCD did not go off that is worrying. Did he leave your electrics on or issue a danger notice? As it is over 50v, I don't think I would be happy leaving you with that until I had some kind of resolution. Either switching off or identifying the problem. Yeh get Tel in and tell us whats going on Tel!

Thanks all for the quick replies. The plumber recommended an electrician who had never seen it before and spent hours looking for the problem to no avail. We then got another electrician with a good reputation who came out one evening, it's 75v that is flowing through everything and he said he cannot understand why the RCD is not kicking in. We are not getting any kind of tingling (the electrician said it wold feel like a static shock). He said it would be investigate work to try to find the source to start with and worst case scenario a potential rewire at up to £3-4k. There were more details but didn't get chance to write it all down so I'm not sure about the supply Andy but I'll find out.

I admit I don't fully understand the details/implications which is why I wanted to reach out to see if there were any pointers/anyone who had come across this before given the potential end cost.

Telectrix we are north west gtr Manchester.

Again, appreciate the help so far from everyone
send me a pm if you want me to sort it early next week.

Agree with @Voltigern at least if you or someone can do this then it might give a visiting sparks half a chance to help without ripping your whole house apart

Yeah, this issue does have the potential to be a real hazard that could cause someone to get a shock so get a sparky in with real test instruments and good experience in using them, the voltstick type testers in the video aren't giving any actual useful info. I'd take Telectrix up on his offer of assistance if I were you.

Reply to Domestic Electrical Issue - Live Volts in House but Not Getting Shocks. Any Help Appreciated in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net