• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Domestic electricity Spain: How to replace old ICP switch in consumer unit? in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score

I’m in the process of renovating an apartment in Madrid. The consumer unit is fitted with an old 15amp ICP switch. I believe its function is now handled by the smart meter, so it is redundant. As this is limiting the power available to the property I would like to remove it.

My questions:

1) Do I need to inform the electricity company about changes to the old ICP switch? I understand they used to be protected by law, but since the introduction of smart meters the home owner is now responsible for the ICP switch (?)

2) What to replace the ICP switch with? Ideally I would like to replace it with a 2-pole main switch, allowing the house to be isolated (I’m biased by the UK approach). Curiously, it seems main switches aren’t available to purchase here, so I guess this isn't customary.

3) Are there any other legal matters I might be overlooking? In the UK this kind of work needs to be carried out by a qualified electrician and needs to be registered with buildings control. Is there anything like that in Spain? Do I need to find someone with specific accreditation? The hardware stores have shelves full of MCBs and RCDs, it seems to imply anybody can do this work on their own 🤔

Thanks in advance!


Reaction score
Interesting post, thanks. I have done some fairly simple electrics in Spain, but they do have some unusual rules...and some very unsual practices. However, things have improved a lot in the last 10 years.
My best suggestion is, quite frankly, to get a local electrician to do the work you require. Many I have dealt with have been extremely competent, and also they generally charge a very reasonable amount for their labour. By reasonable, I mean an hourly rate that few would get out of bed for in UK.

Reply to Domestic electricity Spain: How to replace old ICP switch in consumer unit? in the Electrical Talk - All Other Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Everyone! I would need some help with recognising my certificates in Spain. I have certification from Hungary as an Electrician. How would I be...
  • Question
Hello!! I know the basics on electric installations at home and security measures for working with electricity but that’s it, and I’m in need of...
I had a consumer unit replacement today. It was a bit of a nightmare as most of the cables were too short for the new unit. I extended the ones...
Disclaimer: Not a pro sparky, so i have no intention of doing this myself, but I am looking for options that I can then take to someone qualified...
The pic. is my friends consumer unit and what I can’t understand is: the left RCD is in tripped/off position yet he tells me the circuits 6,7,and...

New Posts (Please Reply)

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.