SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Domestic - essential circuits. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

darkwood

darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Just been posting in a thread and thought id bring the subject up here for your comments, if fitting a consumer unit i always fit rcbo's to what i call essential circuit, now these are circuits that if tripped for other reasons on a shared rcd would create either a health risk or financial burden, because the possiblilities exist i believe its within the scope of the reg's to have said circuits with independent rcbo's.

Fridge/freezer - goes without saying, food may defrost or even warm up enough to health risk without sometimes realising but can cost if restock needed.
Boiler- mainly effecting the elderly if the premises has no other form of heating then loss of the boiler in winter could be deadly.
Alarm- rcd tripping while your away or out could lead to battery draining and SAB unit activating and exeeding the 20min max requirements for duration.

All other circuits IMHO in a standard dometic install dont require extra measures like this as tripping will only be a minor nuisance and not a financial burden or health risk.

Aico 3000
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
P

Plonker 3

I know what you are saying, but unless it is a new build it is difficult to do that as normally the fridge/freezer and boiler are incorparated into the local power circuit. So unless the customer wants to pay for extra circuits to be installed.

If you are on a new build could you not use a designated engraved socket for the fridge/freezer. Using a cable which complies with BS7671 in regards to being earthed as surely the cost wouldn't be much more as you could then use a standard MCB rather than RCBOs, and the same for any other circuits?

darkwood

darkwood

Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dilb ....I agree with existing but i always qoute for alter if possible but yes customers call. New build or rewire i would still have rcbo on fridge i do recall it was only last year a batch of fridges went out with design issues that exposed and shorted out cabling in the door hinges, a few ppl had recieved shock in relation to said issue so i feel it would still be wise to provide the protection because we have the ability to do so.

P

Plonker 3

A manufacturers problem can't be helped though by yourself. Yes a RCD/RCBO will help but there will always be recalls on products as long as I am breathing. Only so much you can allow for, that is why the regs stipulates so many rules before you can get away with a standard MCB now.

Amp David

Amp David

-
Mentor
Arms
Rewires and new build, i always mention it and leave it up to the customer. Usually though, when they realise its a little more cost, they don't usually bother.

D

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
I agree with an Rcbo for the fridge freezer,after all the Rcd protection removes the need for installation measures and the tripping would only be a problem if the freezer or its own circuit caused that problem

With Central heating,I mostly install a seperate circuit
There is usually some means of surface fixing the cable alongside the heating pipes

Reply to Domestic - essential circuits. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Scolmore Electrical Products
Top Bottom