Discuss Domestic EV charging stations in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jonnyb

-
Reaction score
Obviously going to be a big thing in years to come but do you think it's worth going on an electric vehicle charging station install course? I'm pretty sure there is going to be some alterations in the upcoming 18th regs about this but my main concern is whether it's worth doing on a self employed basis, or will big companies get all the work with some government funding?

I wouldnt bother with a course as such, as its no more compex than a install to a shed or garage, just got to be mindful of the earthing.
I have done the NICEIC 1 day job to get Rolec Approval as part of OLEV scheme. its basic and not exactly difficult.
My personal preference having gone on a course just this week, is install ev-box chargers. yes they are a little bit more expensive than rolec in the domestic sector but for commercial and workplace they are by far the best on the market, the back office support is 2nd to none and they look well built, the rolecs use chint components which tells you all you need to know about quality!
If you want details for the guy to contact for the free training from ev-box and more info I can send it to you, let me know?

Free training is always a good thing. The Elvi boxes look good, I haven't really looked into the options much yet, interested to hear from people who have been installing and their opinions on it. My biggest concern in the future is having some sort of government subsidised scheme installing them all (a little like solar panels in a way) due to the potential numbers wanted.

The scheme has been and gone, its now 500 towards a charger but you have to have a electric vehicle. at first they offered £1k towards a charger regardless of having use for one! so cowboys would install a charger on a house claim the £1k for cost then the government woke up to being conned and changed it. I know of some outfits who claimed £1k for the same charger over and over and gave the home owner a couple hundred for playing along. they were installing chargers in 4th floor flats.. no questions asked and making a killing, they now insist on pictures of the install, serial numbers etc.. so its now much more regulated and over time the subsidies will go all together i reckon.
And yes the elvi unit is nice, it can be installed ready for use in new builds and then you just by the front plate to click in.

Reply to Domestic EV charging stations in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock