Discuss Domestic favour, tripping RCD and redundant circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have been asked to look into a random tripping RCD.

The installation is quite simple, now only only four circuits,

None RCD protected side has only the lights and a redundant 16A MCB 2.5mm radial for which no accessory could be found, possibly disconnected outside lights but the circuit was still live, this has been disconnected and put in connectors in the CU.

RCD side has a 16A MCB 2.5 radial with only one double socket outlet, a 32A MCB ring doing the majority of the sockets (possibly with a ring off the ring but that's another story), a 20A 2.5mm radial doing living room sockets and finally a 40A MCB 6mm redundant circuit serving a removed shower.

All IRs pass although the 20A radial and 32A ring both had low readings at 2-3MOhms. All other tests pass comfortably.

However the 40A ex-shower circuit still had the Neutral and CPC terminated in the CU, the other end could not be located, probably cut off and plastered in the bathroom wall.

I have disconnected the the Neutral and CPC for the ex-shower and made them safe in terminal blocks in the CU.

After 4 days there have been no more random tripping whilst I've tidied up some loose ends I'm concerned that I haven't really found the fault.

Could a Neutral and CPC buried in a damp wall like this cause an RCD to trip?

Any thoughts welcomed.

But he said he's disconnected the shower ...

I would recommend the customer keep a record of when it trips.

I read it as the shower was connected when it was tripping and in the process of investigating the tripping, he disconnected the old shower cable.

I think you are correct ...
To clarify the electric shower was replaced by a bar mixer before my friend bought the house but the circuit for the shower is still in place. That is it runs from the CU to a location unknown, assumed to be cut off and plastered into the bathroom wall.

The live had been disconnected in the CU but the Neutral and CPC had not.

This tripping has been on and off for the three years they have had the house.

Good response.

Yes leaving the neutral and earth in a wall is never a good idea.

I would leave the cpc connected to the cu

But he said he's disconnected the shower ...

I would recommend the customer keep a record of when it trips.
Been done Mordoch, it's totally random no correlation with anything or any appliance. Has even gone overnight with nothing on, literally nothing.

^^ sometimes these things happen.

I had been investigating random tripping in a very big 3 story house a couple of years ago. Dual RCD board

In the end I recommended the customer changed to a rcbo board ....
Which was implemented.

A few months later the 3rd story socket circuit started to trip.... Eventually I found a cable disappearing down a wall behind the shower room below. I disconnected the spur and it's never tripped again.

Very trying to deal with.

Its nice to find a screw through a cable or some such that you can point to and say "that's it" but it's not always the case.

Just don't want to be getting a free breakfast under false pretenses.

Just to ensure it it doesn't become and remain live due to coming into contact with another live conductor?

bed time now, thanks for the assistance all.
Well, perhaps, although the more likely scenario is someone reconnecting it in the DB. Hopefully if all cores are earthed they may stop and think. (No guarantee there though, I'm afraid. Stupid never fails to surprise...)

I think the state the shower cable had been left in - particularly at its far end - could allow N-cpc or N to 'earth/terra-firma' currents to flow depending on the potential of the N with respect to cpc or earth/t-f.

There might also be some interaction between the redundant shower cable and the lower IR reading socket circuits through the fabric of the building especially if dampness is present.

As Murdoch might have said - 'did you clamp and measure earth leakage currents before and after the changes you made'? Or ramp test the RCD before and after?

I'd also take gander and do some IR measurements on those appliances which are plugged in which could suffer earth leakage even when switched off by the functional controls eg: kettles, ovens, immersion heaters, central heating, ...or in combination accumulate a high earth leakage current.

I think the state the shower cable had been left in - particularly at its far end - could allow N-cpc or N to 'earth/terra-firma' currents to flow depending on the potential of the N with respect to cpc or earth/t-f.

There might also be some interaction between the redundant shower cable and the lower IR reading socket circuits through the fabric of the building especially if dampness is present.

As Murdoch might have said - 'did you clamp and measure earth leakage currents before and after the changes you made'? Or ramp test the RCD before and after?

I'd also take gander and do some IR measurements on those appliances which are plugged in which could suffer earth leakage even when switched off by the functional controls eg: kettles, ovens, immersion heaters, central heating, ...or in combination accumulate a high earth leakage current.

I'd want a bit more investigation done on the low IR socket circuits. What voltage did you do the IR tests?

As @marconi stated vis-a-vis the earth neutral thing, how many times have we switched off a circuit and shorted N-E and the trip trips? As the N + E were connected still to the respective bus bars...Trip! with a bit of moisture involved.

Reply to Domestic favour, tripping RCD and redundant circuits in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock