Discuss Domestic fire alarm isolation. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

aaronstuart

Hi,

Installing interlinked mains fire alarms with battery back up, what do you guys use for isolation without interfering with lighting, as i am going to come off a regularly used lighting supply?
Would a fused spur be sufficient adjacent to fuseboard or a keyswitch?

Cheers....:)

Local isolation can be the action of unplugging the unit off the base

The less chance for the user to disconnect the supply the better in my opinion

I agree, in fact check out guidance given by the Electrical Safety Council under "electrical installation 17th edition guidance" at ref; NDA17. They recommend connecting a Grade D fire detection system (BS 5839-6) to a regularly used lighting circuit, on the grounds that any disconnection of the supply is more likely to be noticed.

Although the big red book (BS7671) at Reg 560.7.1 states that circuits of safety services shall be independent of other circuits. Refer to Reg 110.1 at (xxv), the particular requirements of BS 5839-6 take precedence over the general requirements of BS 7671.

Circuits of safety,should be independent,as should be any new circuit,anytrhing happens after your add on,how do you prove your innocence,ive gone as far as a new board,Henleyed,2 way,1 spare,worth the expence,aint got the investrigators knocking on your door,next morning,remember,if you dont test it all,you dont know its O K........Dont trust others wiring!!!!!!:)

Toystory threes out now......loved the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what i understand is that "safety services" are proper designated fire alarm "systems" as opposed to domestic smokes.

Circuits of safety,should be independent,as should be any new circuit,anytrhing happens after your add on,how do you prove your innocence,ive gone as far as a new board,Henleyed,2 way,1 spare,worth the expence,aint got the investrigators knocking on your door,next morning,remember,if you dont test it all,you dont know its O K........Dont trust others wiring!!!!!!:)

Toystory threes out now......loved the first one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You prove your innocence by showing the relevant electrical certificate (eic or mwc) & the fire alarm certificate both correctly filled in with all tests recorded.

No different to general electrical work, if a house burns down 6 months after you wired a couple of extra sockets, how do you prove it wasn't your work?

Reply to Domestic fire alarm isolation. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock