Discuss Domestic Installer course inc Training in a property off site in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davecsc

Hi All,

At Construction Skills College we have designed a new 25 day domestic installer course that incorporates 5 days training within a domestic property. It is one thing installing circuits on a test rig that is 3/4/5 foot square but another thing installing within a property, which is why we have added this element.

Below is an outline of the course content and more information can be found on our website at click here

The new courses commence in January 2013 at our centre in Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

During the 25 days of training you will complete the following:
Foundation Electrical Course – 5 days
Full Scope Part P Domestic Installer - 5 days
2382-12 17th Edition - 4 days
2392 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection and Testing and Initial Verification. - 5 days
1 Days Power Tool and Hand Tools practice
5 Days training within a domestic property

Although these courses will not make you an electrician they are a good step in the right direction especially if you wish to become a domestic installer.

All the best,
Dave

Hi Dave, the course sounds interesting.. I am 26, unemployed, but get by doing basic maintenance. Would your course be a good taster for me as I am thinking of becoming an electrician?

thanks Rob

Hi Rob,

The course would be a good taster but will only take you to domestic installer level. To be honest if you are unemployed and want to become an electrician it would be worthwhile contacting your local college of FE as they will offer courses aimed at becoming a qualified electrician and the prices will be cheaper.

If you do have the money though and want to become a domestic installer then we would welcome you onto our course.

Speak soon,
Dave

We are currently updating our new website and will be adding content on a regular basis so please click here to see more.

As well as our electrical course including training in a property we also offer plastering courses, plumbing, tiling carpentry and kitchen fitting courses.

Many Thanks,
Dave

PLEASE NOTE: If you live within the Stoke-on-Trent area we have a local company who is willing to give learners work experience, this is usually after you have completed your training but a gentleman who started a course today (October 29th) spent time with the company yesterday.

Below is feedback from previous course attendees, we are updating our website on a regular basis when we receive feedback so please check www.tradeteacher.co.uk when you can.

Hi Dave, I completed Foundation Electrics, Part P, 17th Edition & 2 week plumbing back in 2011. I started my own little business Wire & Water Ltd just after that, using the skills of all the courses. I quickly realised that I needed a bit more on the electrical testing and so completed a CG 2392 elsewhere (you were not offering this course at the time). It was very reassuring to know that tutor backup was available post-course and I have availed myself of this via Chris, Dave & Steve from time to time. Sometimes its questions about a prospective job and sometimes about problems on-site. I have always had excellent guidance from the tutors during these phone calls. Very reassuring and valuable! I am now registered with Elecsa and certify my own electrical work. A number of my customers have used me for both electric and plumbing trades. I found Construction Skills College accessible and friendly, the tutors knowledgeable but also able to make the courses enjoyable and the post-course support is not just a hollow offer to get you signed up. Thanks Nige Gunn, Director, Wire & Water Ltd

Hi David, Nice to hear from you again, and sorry for the late reply, I understand feedback is very important to companies like yours, to ensure they are delivering the right results. In my case i can safely say it as been a complete success with nearly a year since i sat the Domestic Installer course at your facilities in Stoke on Trent, i have gone on to work with several big company's, including the likes of Keir, Bovis Lend Lease and currently Balfour Beatty... Many thanks for all your help and please express a big thank you to Chris your Lecturer for me, he was a massive inspiration and a credit to your company whilst i was studying at your college. Kindest Regards, Adrian Wilkes

Hi guys, Thanks for the email. Since completing the 4 work course i used the money i had aside for university to purchase my tools. I invested in the best i could afford to save spending twice! I spent a couple of months working as an alarm engineer. My qualifications gained me a better wage than expected. Whilst working for them, i designed my logo, stationary and registered self employed, trading as 'Lundie Electrical'. I left the company 2 months ago. I secured a contract with a letting company, completing all of their domestic electrical installation condition reports. Its repeat work which is great, plus i get a lot of additional repair work through completing the tests also. My next steps involve targeting independent property developers and securing contracts for new builds and renovations. I cant thank you enough for the training i was offered. Its changed my life for the better and best of all, compared to my friends that went down the university route, I HAVE NO DEBT!!! Kindest regards, Nick

Mr Bruce emailed the centre and said 'Hi, I did a 4 week course with you in Sept – Oct last year. I thought I would drop you a quick note to say many thanks as I have just passed my Elecsa assessment. Please pass on to Chris my thanks for an excellent course and its delivery.'

Mr Marriott completed a 20 day electrical course. Since completing his training he has used the skills and knowledge the course gave him to help secure a full time position for a company installing Solar PV.

Mr Jones has completed a number of electrical courses at our centre. Since completing the training Dave successfully passed the assessment required to and he is now a registered Part P Domestic Installer.

Mr Allen completed a Part P and 17th edition. He is now employed as a mechanical engineer full time and said the 17th edition course helped him with his current eimployement.

Mr Bossons attended a Part P and 17th edition course as part of his redundancy package. The courses have helped and he is now working part time with an electrician to gain some experience.

Mr McKenzie completed a foundation electrical course and a part p course. He was unemployed when he completed the courses. he is working now, not in electrics but he says the courses gave him confidence in himself to go out and work. he has completed non-notifiable work in his own property.

Mr Nicklin completed a foundation electrical course and a part p course. Since completing the course he became self-employed for a short while. He is now working for Balfour Beatty and feels this is due to the qualifications he picked up at the college.

Mr Hughes completed a 20 day electrical course. He left the forces in December 2011 and as now secured a job as a generator engineer. He did have some other qualifications but says that without the electrical qualifications he wouldn't have got the job.

Hi,

We have received a the following two enquiries on a regular basis so i have posted answers below:

Q) Are we offering the 25 day course from both our centre in Stoke-on-Trent and Wolverhampton?
A) At the moment we are only offering the course from our centre in Stoke. We are producing a list of names of people who are interested in attending at our Wolverhampton centre and if we receive enough interest we will deliver courses there.

Q) What is completed during the training in a property?
A) We have access to a 2 bed end terraced property, 2 beds upstairs, through living/dining room downstairs + downstairs kitchen and bathroom and external detached garage, (sockets and light pendants have been removed from all rooms). Your tutor during the week is also an approved electrical contractor. During the week you will produce a quote for a full installation and estimate materials, as a team you will then install all circuits within the property and fully test and complete relevant certificates.

Any other questions please ask.

Thanks,
Dave

UPDATE on 2392-10 qualification.

The City & Guilds 2392-10 (Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification) course has now been extended. The City & Guilds website states that the last date for registration for this course is 31/12/2012 but it has now been extended until 30/06/2013.

Thanks,
Dave

[h=1]Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification (2392)[/h]

Hi,

Below is feedback from Daniel Bettany who completed our 20 day electrical course in November 2012. This shows that with the right attitude and by knocking on doors opportunities will become available. We will provide the training and support and you need to provide the determination to gain employment. Well done Daniel.

Student Feedback: "Hi, sorry I've only just read your email, ok i would say I was stuck in a dead end job and wanted a challenge, electrics had always interested me and thought I could make a living from it. I searched on the internet and enquired at a few places but construction skills college seemed to offer the best package and explained everything before hand. I visited the college on tues 23rd oct, signed up fri 26th oct and started the 20 day course on mon 29th oct. The course was intense but worth the effort for a month. I finished the course on fri 23rd nov and by dinner time 27th nov I was offered a job at an electrical contractors. Thankyou dave and donna.

Reply to Domestic Installer course inc Training in a property off site in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net