Discuss Domestic Light switch replacement in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andyp 0210

I'm renovating a 1960's holiday home and just want to replace an old lighting switch which has 2 switches, one for the ceiling light and one for the wall lights. Thought it would be simple but the new modern replacement switch doesn't match the old switch connections so guidance sought please!
New switch has 2 sets of connectors, each marked L1, L2 & Com.
Old switch has 4 connected wires: on the top row - blue & black to one terminal, red to another then on the lower row, one red into one terminal with a red loop to another terminal. (See photo)
Help! Which wires to where on the new switch? Any advice gratefully received thanks!

image.jpeg

image.jpg

i think, in all fairness, thast you need to call a local electrician in, judging by the state of that. there may well be several problems with the installation leading to fire or shock risk. best get it checked out and tested professionally.

I'd agree get an electrician in to be safe.

The wiring is a bit odd.

Same here , it does look a bit of a hash, plus you will have to earth the face plate . If you do not know what you are doing you will give yourself a nightmare ; and end up having to call an electrician anyway . Just not worth it.

nice picture of new switch. I agree with the lads get some one in. these DIY ers are putting us out of a job. don't they read the instructions in doubt seek a qualified person .
why don't they read their insurance policy's first

Bit worried by the black and brown wires running over the edge of the back box and out of sight?
What's going on there?
Looks like the nearest switch is straight forward with the red the switched live. The second switch looks to have the black as switched live (unsleaved). But whats the blue wire? a later additional light added (new colour coding)? or strappers (only one?)

i think, in all fairness, thast you need to call a local electrician in, judging by the state of that. there may well be several problems with the installation leading to fire or shock risk. best get it checked out and tested professionally.
What Tel Said

What Pete & Tel said. I think can see at least three T&E in there, of older vintage as well as a fourth, due to the brown and blue appearing from somewhere in the background. Is that old plaster repainted recently? The back box looks newer than the switch?

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum, I'm sure one of the members may be located near you and would be happy to give you a price for the job. I have to agree there are a few wires in there that could cause you problems if you're unfamiliar with electrics.

I think (only think) that old switch is a 2-gang intermediate switch. If it is then the two reds at the bottom go to the two COM terminals on the new switch.
The red at the top goes to one of the L1 terminals, the black&blue together go to the other L1 terminal.

But I could be wrong.

BUT I really would get that nasty wiring looked at by someone who knows what they are about. If you are refurbishing, then i would really suggest that you need a deeper back box.

ALSO, you must connect the faceplate of the new switch to earth,

This is the first time Iv'e seen a 2g intermeadiate switch other than by grid can any of the more mature members on here come accross them before ?.Agree with above needs deeper box (16mm ok if only 1 cable)and if new switch is metal needs earthing.

Reply to Domestic Light switch replacement in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net