Discuss Domestic Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hoya

I'd like to offer lighting installation with my business as i feel it will be a great asset. However i do not want to become an electrician, Do i need to be an electrican to install some lighting? also what courses/training would i need for me to carry out lighting installations for my customers.

New to the forum btw hello to you call.:)

You would be rather foolish to do any work without public liabilty insurance which covers you if things go wrong, without it you could end up in very serious trouble.

Any work you do in domestic premises that are deemed special locations would require you to notify LABC in advance and they will require a hefty payment to check your work for you.

I cant in all honesty see any insurance company giving you cover without the qualifications

Chris

Now Now Bugsy:)

Lololol

I maybe should not mention like for like replacements then? (not in special locations or outside)

But I still think you wouldn't get the PL so you wouldn't be able to make this apart of your business.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been pointed out, some lighting installs will require notification to LABC or you could enrol on one of the self cert schemes, but the costs are very expensive, especially with course fees, equipment, insurance etc.

I'm having difficulty understanding your answers as non of them seem to answer my questions. Anybody else?

If i wanted to be an electrican i would follow it through till i become one i, i feel that there must be some sort of cert or training that could help me be able to install lighting in customers housing.

What about just installing the lighting systems in to desired places then calling for the electrician to wire it up safly? This way nothing to do with electric is being messed with as it would be purely cosmetic.

As has been pointed out, some lighting installs will require notification to LABC or you could enrol on one of the self cert schemes, but the costs are very expensive, especially with course fees, equipment, insurance etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking into account all of the above posts and the fact that you dont understand them the simple answer is no you cant on many occassions you would be breaking the law and not even know you were doing it.

Chris

Get a few quotes from registered sparkies ask for some referaces verify their part p registration and go from there,

If you do not want to become an electrician but want to get involved with lighting look at couses for lighting design

Thank you very much for your input bugsy and anyone else who wasnt negative to my query, I have a friend already who is an electrician and can help me come the time, i am only looking in to options at present and i will look in to lighting design courses but i would think they maybe rare?

mate, well done !! no one can ask better of anyone than to ask if you dont know, thats exactly what you are doing, and you have had some usefull replies. All a light is, is an electrical accessory, it is to be treated with no less than the full works of BS7671, Part P, and especially fire regs- Approved doc B, approved doc a (structures )-and any ive forgotten.
New lights come with problems, is there a CPC in the existing circuit ? bit of a minefield, You cant really do just a course on installing lights, as a minimum its off to college for you on a full course! Very well done for knowing your limitations, thats not being reckless with the publics safety. P.S. of course havent mentioned the inspect and test of new circuits,(college course ) Fluke or Megga testers £600-£800 each, just giving you some hints as to the lines you should be thinking along.

I'd like to offer lighting installation with my business as i feel it will be a great asset. However i do not want to become an electrician, Do i need to be an electrican to install some lighting? also what courses/training would i need for me to carry out lighting installations for my customers.

New to the forum btw hello to you call.:)
hi hoya,
what business are you in :confused:

How did you guess? I have a private direct power cable from a friend in Russia he provides me with the power i pass him the buddah.

Wonder if we have actualy stumbled upon a niche here lads? could just advertise as hydrophonics installers everyones happy.

Going back to one of my original questions is there no possiblity of when im installing ceilings in properties i can put the lights in ready for wireing?

I'm trying to sus what i can do without calling my mate to come do everything for the money i want to be getting.

I'm not writing out my sparkie mate one little bit just wanting to know what i can actualy do with lighting before i need a sparkie?

You see i can be the man who does the customisation of the ceilings for the lights then they can be just installed by my mate.

Colour i turned after my first bucket> :D

Reply to Domestic Lighting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net