Discuss Domestic meter tail isolator in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Soulsurfer

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a few installs coming up where I need to upgrade cu's and want to install isolators between DNO service head and new consumer units. I have only ever fitted before to twin supply houses on off peak storage heating and was under the impression that a straight enclosure with a 100A DP main switch would be good enough. But DNO have just told me that they also require over-current protection. On two supply i usually use a Hager 4P switch and 2 x 63A MCB's for feed tails but could I use a 100A dp and a separate MCB in enclosure on Brown tail ? or does anyone use easily sourced different equipment?

Thanks,

This is the standard bit of domestic kit for fused isolation for tails. Readily available and easy to use with tails.
You don't want to be using an upfront MCB for the discrimination issues involved which can result in possible non compliance with the regs.

Domestic meter tail isolator {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

But of course from January we will all love using the Amendment 3 all metal switch fuses!:(
Domestic meter tail isolator Wylex all metal Switch Fuse - EletriciansForums.net

Joking aside I would echo Andy78 do not use an MCB, use a Switch fuse.
The DNO usually specify overcurrent/fault protection for longer tails runs (often over 3m), but should generally be happy with just an isolator for a short run to a CU.

Hey all,

I have a few installs coming up where I need to upgrade cu's and want to install isolators between DNO service head and new consumer units. I have only ever fitted before to twin supply houses on off peak storage heating and was under the impression that a straight enclosure with a 100A DP main switch would be good enough. But DNO have just told me that they also require over-current protection. On two supply i usually use a Hager 4P switch and 2 x 63A MCB's for feed tails but could I use a 100A dp and a separate MCB in enclosure on Brown tail ? or does anyone use easily sourced different equipment?

Thanks,

Why??? What is their reason?

Hi DNO is Jersey Electricity Co and usually they like isolator before cu as they say good practice but if I am having homes on 100A single phase supplies there seems no benefit to use 63A to protect the line tail as you can't then take your higher supply current so counter productive. If I could work out how to post up a pic or two I could show you what is usually fitted by others.

That must be new. I don't remember the JEC requiring that before.

Although ESB requires a 63A MCB for meter tails exceeding 3 metres. (Not a fan of this for reasons of discrimination/selectivity mentioned.)

Just picked up a 100A Wylex all metal switch fuse but it's like £70 ! & the size of the cu ! Meter tails are approx a foot max so don't know what's going on there. Think I'll call them again as it's nuts

Built this up for a customer with an AMD 3 Hager cu for on & off peak boards surely they can't have issue
with that setup ? Domestic meter tail isolator image - EletriciansForums.net
Will have blanks in too !

Last edited:
The DNO should be happy with that, the customer wont be when a short circuit takes out their main supply.
The DNO asks for overcurrent protection so it does not have to be discrimination from the DNO fuse.

But of course from January we will all love using the Amendment 3 all metal switch fuses!:(
View attachment 30822

Joking aside I would echo Andy78 do not use an MCB, use a Switch fuse.
The DNO usually specify overcurrent/fault protection for longer tails runs (often over 3m), but should generally be happy with just an isolator for a short run to a CU.

That does look nice, anyone used one yet?

I don't get how else I'm going to get overcurrent protection without the usual Mcb route as used for comfort heat boards / isolators, spoke to them & they say Mcbs are usual requirement and at 63A. Or should DNO fuse be the only required overcurrent protection ?

I don't get how else I'm going to get overcurrent protection without the usual Mcb route as used for comfort heat boards / isolators, spoke to them & they say Mcbs are usual requirement and at 63A. Or should DNO fuse be the only required overcurrent protection ?

I'm thinking an upfront MCB at 63A will not comply fully with 314.

I think the dangers of loosing the entire power supply in a domestic situation are normally much lower risk so the use of an MCB could be OK. A fuse would be better but if the DNO and customer are happy then go for it.

I've just had this on 11 new build houses..for some reason the DNO also wanted over current protection on the tails even though under 3meters etc. couldn't be bothered with the arguments and just wanted them connected so ended up fitting a KMF in each meter box at £18 each.

Reply to Domestic meter tail isolator in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock