Discuss domestic smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi my mate has just rang me to say he has just finished doing a eicr on a 4 bedroom multiple occupancy,he said all mains smoke alarms are out of date so he has coded them as a 2, which i think should be a 3 he also done a normal 2 bed flat this morning and the smoke and heat were out of date and were not interlinked so he has marked it down as a 2 i think at best it's a 3 your thoughts please

i thought that were needed in a multiple occupancy

This requirement will be covered by things like the housing act, fire regulations, and council requirements.
An EICR is carried out to assess electrical safety to BS7671. If the scope of the work has asked for fire alarm checks then there are specific forms for that sort of thing.

Non functioning smoke alarms can only be commented on ............. unless you count them as a "broken" accessory then it may be a C2

But then its not an immediate electrical issue.

to be fair to the guy, he is in error in coding smoke detectors, but he has observed a safety issue. what he should do is to inform the client/landlord of his concerns separately to the EICR.
The landlord should be well aware of his, not for someone else to tell him of his responsibility for maintaining any safety systems.

Maybe comment on the lack of a Legionella Risk Assessment?
I always insist on doing one when I carry out the PA Testing!
Soon, I hope to introduce the PB/VOC/Asbestos in paint/Artex/wall and ceiling covering tests...
Clearly, I will need to be certified as competent in these fields, but that is not a problem because there are often University posts on here which will give me a Degree in such things for a small fee...

Reply to domestic smoke alarms in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock