Discuss Domestic wiring in France? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnstantine

Hi all.
I'm due to undertake the re-wire of a two bed property in France. I have no previous experience of French wiring. I would very much appreciate any advice or information on the French way of doing things. Also, any suggestions of guidance text would be very useful.

Cheers.

I live in France and am registered and insured here as an electrician. If there is anything specific you wish to know, PM me and I will let you have my contact details, we can then speak on the phone and it may well be easier than via e-mail

I live in France and am registered and insured here as an electrician. If there is anything specific you wish to know, PM me and I will let you have my contact details, we can then speak on the phone and it may well be easier than via e-mail

Victor, many many thanks.
Will pm soon.

Just thought I would check to see how things are going as I have not heard from you.

Kind regards
Victor

Bonjour Victor.

I did try to pm you but said you were not accepting pm's.

I have been to France and installed first fix.
On arrival discovered there was no existing cu, just a plastic jb where all final circuits were connected to incoming tails from a mere 30A supply/500mA rcd.

I have installed first fix using plastic flexible conduit and singles. The supplier we sourced material from sold rolls of pre-wired plastic conduit coming in various sizes.

I have installed a many-ways board with protection split between 30mA type A and 30mA type AC RCD's and double pole circuit breakers.

The existing earth electrode was inaccessible and gave about 300 ohm reading. I Installed two new electrodes and main earthwire achieving a 100 ohm reading in dry conditions.
The research I carried out suggested that line and neutral should be red and blue, switched lives orange, two-way strappers as black and green/yellow for earth.

I used a similar theme to England for all bonding.

We will be requiring an upgrade in supply in order to cope with the demands of electric heating etc.

Any comments, advice or suggestions appreciated.

If you speak french look here Promotelec : Normes électriques

They do FAQs here: Promotelec : Peut-on mettre un équipement électrique dans une salle d'eau / salle de bains ?

They used to publish a little guide to domestic installation called "lLocaux d'habitation". I don't know whether its still available.

The French equivalent of BS7671 is French standard NF C 15-100 (2002). the consumer unit is distribution board to NFC 61-910 and made up to suit The circuits are radials fed via dp mcbs. Accessory boxes are round with claw fixing accessories. Socket outlets are 16A round hole with a projecting earth pin. lighting control is by the "Va-et-Vient" two way switches and a relay device known as a telerupter for more than two way switching. Hope this helps.

my folks have a few houses in france and spend a lot of timethere

just outof iterest if i was to go there with them as self employed electrician how and what will i need to set up to do electrics in houses?

so much for harmonisation of colours. are we the only country using brown, black, grey,blue.? if so WHY?????

Here in Spain Domestic Colours Live (Phase) Brown can be black if ya fancy, Blue = N, Green /Yellow Earth... if you use Brown for the Live you use black or sleeve the Brown to black or vice versa for swiched live. Phase colours L1 is Brown L2 is Black L3 is Grey Think its the same as UK?
so much for harmonisation of colours. are we the only country using brown, black, grey,blue.? if so WHY?????

Just seen this thread, the book referred to in the last post is wrong in place's and out of date to the regulations, you would need this: L'installation électrique - D.Fedullo, T.Gallauziaux - 6ème édition - Librairie Eyrolles - https://www.eyrolles.com/BTP/Livre/l-installation-electrique-9782212674941/

Just to clear a few things, phase is Brown, neutral is always Blue, Earth is always Green/Yellow, Orange is switched live, on a three phase domestic installation (yes there are quite a few) the harmonised colours are used, i.e. Black, Grey, Brown, Blue, as nearly all installations are TT an External earth rod is required to be installed by the property owner.: Mise à la terre d'une installation électrique, norme NF C 15-100 - https://www.schema-electrique.net/mise-a-la-terre-installation-electrique-norme-NF-C-15-100.html

It’s not the book that’s out of date....it’s the thread itself!
You responding to a post from 2010/11....
I would hope the OP has completed his rewire by now.
Might still be waiting for a plumber though.

Reply to Domestic wiring in France? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net