Discuss Dometic sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gixxerdan

I have just recently bought my first house and have took all the carpets up and stripped all the walls for redecorating so I am looking at the wiring in the house to see if there are any problems. In the bedroom there are 4 double sockets and 1 single socket but only a couple work. The light fitting does not work either (there are 5/6 bulbs so unless they have all blown, which is unlikely, there is a problem somewhere) My first instinct about the sockets is that there is a loose connection somewhere. If I wanted to chase where a socket was fed from, is there a way to do this by testing rather than literally pulling the cable out and tracing it? Also is there a way of finding out which socket is first on the ring main? I have voltage testers and a multimeter so is there a way of finding out using either of these??

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan. My advice would be get a spark in to to test and inspect the place and rectify the faults for you. Especially as you have just bought the place. It may be fine with just minor faults or you may have purchased a diy nightmare. Get it tested for safety sake and peace of mind, especially before you start wallpapering and fitting new flooring In my experience. I would rather go to work and do what I am good at, to pay a skilled person to do what they are good at. Less grief and usually sorted in a fraction of the time..... Good luck in your first home and be safe.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

as above^^^ there could be JBs under the floor, spurs off spurs, all sorts of nasties which, should you manage to get the sockets working, might still be there just waiting to start a fire etc.

Sounds like you have bought a place where someone "had a go" at their own electrics and have caused some issues. Get someone qualified in to check it all out for you. Goodness knows what other faults there are lurking in the house.

going to have to write this in word and copy/paste....... if you post your location, then one of the experienced guys ( in your area) on here would be more than happy to have a gander and advise accordingly.

gerroff with the southern. at least i.m north of brummingyam

I have just recently bought my first house and have took all the carpets up and stripped all the walls for redecorating so I am looking at the wiring in the house to see if there are any problems. In the bedroom there are 4 double sockets and 1 single socket but only a couple work. The light fitting does not work either (there are 5/6 bulbs so unless they have all blown, which is unlikely, there is a problem somewhere) My first instinct about the sockets is that there is a loose connection somewhere. If I wanted to chase where a socket was fed from, is there a way to do this by testing rather than literally pulling the cable out and tracing it? Also is there a way of finding out which socket is first on the ring main? I have voltage testers and a multimeter so is there a way of finding out using either of these??

Thanks,

Dan

If things electrical are causing concern, then you may want to consider a rewire. You are going to be redecorating anyway. What you dont want is to spend a fortune getting the electric up to scratch, redecorating, and in a few years time experience more trouble and need rewiring anyway. I know it is a bit of a financial hit, but it will save you in the long term, and you can have what you want where you want it, within reason.

Cheers...............Howard

what? you mean in the frozen north? only you and geordie up there between civilization and oldtimer.
i have just seen this and one minute I was a bit peeved then I remember that i live in a modern civilisation and how do I know this ?????

Easy we dont have Part P

Reply to Dometic sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock