Discuss Don’t be an electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
Not much to do with this lockdown going on.
So friend of a friend wants a Little job done; light in toilet area swapped with a sensor
light.
Shows me where it’s switched from in the hall a 2g switch ,the other switch does a light in the hall too.
Ok,there’s are one cable @ the toilet light,so fits sensor light,& decides to connect the switch wire & feed together,@ the switch ,so there’s a 230v permanent supply.
At the 2g switch there’s only that cable,no cable on other side of switch,so it’s definitely wasn’t a 2g switch.
Gets a call later the lights are not working,can you sort it.
Gets to the house about 6.00pm, & he’s showing me what should happen,the 2g switch doesn’t do anything & the hall light is on constantly.
Ive told him the switch was never a 2g anyway,argues & argues.
So I put everything back as it was the switch now operates the hall &toilet light.I may have to go back & sort him & the light out.
How much shall I charge

Not much to do with this lockdown going on.
So friend of a friend wants a Little job done; light in toilet area swapped with a sensor
light.
Shows me where it’s switched from in the hall a 2g switch ,the other switch does a light in the hall too.
Ok,there’s are one cable @ the toilet light,so fits sensor light,& decides to connect the switch wire & feed together,@ the switch ,so there’s a 230v permanent supply.
At the 2g switch there’s only that cable,no cable on other side of switch,so it’s definitely wasn’t a 2g switch.
Gets a call later the lights are not working,can you sort it.
Gets to the house about 6.00pm, & he’s showing me what should happen,the 2g switch doesn’t do anything & the hall light is on constantly.
Ive told him the switch was never a 2g anyway,argues & argues.
So I put everything back as it was the switch now operates the hall &toilet light.I may have to go back & sort him & the light out.
How much shall I charge
How long were you there including travel, how many of you were there. Day rate per man plus materials, plus a decent mark up I would think, plus call out charges involved?. as a one off if you intend going back, give matey a quote, if he doesn't like it, get paid for the call out and let him find someone else.

How long were you there including travel, how many of you were there. Day rate per man plus materials, plus a decent mark up I would think, plus call out charges involved?. as a one off if you intend going back, give matey a quote, if he doesn't like it, get paid for the call out and let him find someone else.
Could the toilet light be fitted with a pir lamp,so no wiring required,or have I misunderstand?S

About a hour to fit & set up,then 30 minutes to try & sort it.
He supplied light,thinking kindly ..£35
[automerge]1589034459[/automerge]
Could the toilet light be fitted with a pir lamp,so no wiring required,or have I misunderstand?S
Yea I thought that @ first but he supplied with integral sensor.
it still wouldn’t be ideal though cause the hall light is looped with that light, even though he & his whole family says it was switched by the 2g switch,

I hate typical ‘mates’ jobs which they ask you over the phone “can you quickly put up a couple lights for me etc...‘how much’ ??”
I would usually just say 20 quid a light if the lights are supplied and the wiring is ok...
reality is if they rang a sparks from checkatrade or the like it would be twice that price and some

About a hour to fit & set up,then 30 minutes to try & sort it.
He supplied light,thinking kindly ..£35
[automerge]1589034459[/automerge]

Yea I thought that @ first but he supplied with integral sensor.
it still wouldn’t be ideal though cause the hall light is looped with that light, even though he & his whole family says it was switched by the 2g switch,
35 notes cheap you're doing yourself no favours Mate, wouldn't look for my car keys for that money. £135 maybe!

Last edited:
Does beg the question, did you check everything was working to his satisfaction at the end of the initial visit?

He wasn’t there but the sensor light worked ok,the other light did not have a lamp in it.
I was only really worried about my sensor light to be honest.
they probably took the lamp out as they were sick of it coming on with the bog light. then spun you a load of porkies.

Whilst jobs like this do happen from time to time, charging lower fees doesnt help things, you need to smooth things out the bumps by making things more worth your while, like pete999 suggested, never assume anything that has been done(or told to you) by others and always test your work thouroughly before you leave(but also accept the fact you will always occasionally miss something)

Re your thread title: I wouldnt say dont be an electrician though, you have a skill that will always be in need, youll be thankful you are when millions of others are displaced and unemployable in the future by AI etc

Whilst jobs like this do happen from time to time, charging lower fees doesnt help things, you need to smooth things out the bumps by making things more worth your while, like pete999 suggested, never assume anything that has been done(or told to you) by others and always test your work thouroughly before you leave(but also accept the fact you will always occasionally miss something)

Re your thread title: I wouldnt say dont be an electrician though, you have a skill that will always be in need, youll be thankful you are when millions of others are displaced and unemployable in the future by AI etc
Totally agree,basically you also need correct information from that client too.

I hate typical ‘mates’ jobs which they ask you over the phone “can you quickly put up a couple lights for me etc...‘how much’ ??”
I would usually just say 20 quid a light if the lights are supplied and the wiring is ok...
reality is if they rang a sparks from checkatrade or the like it would be twice that price and some
The one that used to always get me was when a "mate" would ask me if I'd do a bit of a "foreigner" for him on the cheap. I'd reply with "I don't do foreigners". I'd always get a look of confusion followed by disappointment when I explained that I'm self employed so how could I do foreigners?

Any true friend who expects you to take a cut in wages is not a friend. The irony being that my true friends I'd do small jobs for next to nowt anyhow as a goodwill gesture.

I never forget, a good few years back when a "friend of a friend" asked me to quote on a kitchen rewire. At the time I was charging £15 per hour and when submitting the quote made the mistake of being over detailed and the customer picked up on my hourly rate.
He went ballistic saying I was a complete rip off and that he was only getting £10 a hour cards in as a maintenance fitter at a local manufacturing company. The idiot just assumed that I would be pocketing £15 per hour, couldn't get his head around the cost and outgoings that a self employed person incurs, as he would never have to worry about such things.
Some people just assume that as a self employed trades person you are earning big bucks and should therefore do things for next to nowt for mates of mates etc..

Totally agree,basically you also need correct information from that client too.
That does help yes, but also when a customer tries explianing to you about how they think their electrical system works, take is with a pinch of salt, and a rough guide only.
They usually get confused or sometimes lie completely so you end up with the old 'well it worked before you touched it' and are expected to sort it out for free

That does help yes, but also when a customer tries explianing to you about how they think their electrical system works, take is with a pinch of salt, and a rough guide only.
They usually get confused or sometimes lie completely so you end up with the old 'well it worked before you touched it' and are expected to sort it out for free
Agree completely.
i hate doing mate things.

Reply to Don’t be an electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock