Discuss dont read it just file it away in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i just rewired a house for a customer that was initially in a very bad state, no main earth, no bonds 3036s etc, she had bought the house for her son and he was livivng there for a while, when i pionted these thing out she was mortified and said it had been inspected, when i looked at the report it had all these things mentioned and FAIL written all over it. how many other people recieve a report and think just put it in the file

This was part of the argument that was made by the ESC to change the title PIR to EICR to make things "more simple" and to make it obvious that it relates to the current condition of the installation.

We do lots of PIR's and whilst the NICEIC changed the way we code defects, the clients still think that they only need to do the 1's. We always quote for the lot anyway and try to steer them toward doing the rest. Its mad really. These people are only having these reports done because the legal bod / estate agent tells them to. None of them explains why they should have it done and what the consequences can be if they ignore the faults. Its all about the money to them. IMHO it falls to the ESC, NICEIC, ECA and any other entities to raise awareness of the need for regular inspections and repairs. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am explaining the wheres and why's to a client, it feels like they have "rogue Traders" running around inside their head and that makes me uneasy about pushing the point too much.

A good point flyingsparky, a simple job of fitting a new cooker or shower circuit from a 3036 board becomes a sales pitch soon as you tell them they need rcd protection because the cable is less than 50mm in the wall. Sounds like we are trying to rip them off!

But then they will go out and get a friend of a friend to do it coz their cheaper, and the cooker works fine!

A good point flyingsparky, a simple job of fitting a new cooker or shower circuit from a 3036 board becomes a sales pitch soon as you tell them they need rcd protection because the cable is less than 50mm in the wall. Sounds like we are trying to rip them off!

But then they will go out and get a friend of a friend to do it coz their cheaper, and the cooker works fine!

You can't educate pork.

Reply to dont read it just file it away in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net