Discuss don't use rcbos for TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Double pole isolation or switching on a TT system would be achieved by the main switch.

There is nothing wrong with installing single pole RCBOs on TT systems however if there was an s-type up front, you would need to install double pole RCBOs if RCBOs were specced for the job.

Double pole isolation or switching on a TT system would be achieved by the main switch.

There is nothing wrong with installing single pole RCBOs on TT systems however if there was an s-type up front, you would need to install double pole RCBOs if RCBOs were specced for the job.

Why D ?

Most upfront S-types are DP/Multi-pole anyway, I have seen these double up as the Isolator too, in fact on the model forms there are boxes to fill in where the RCD is used as a mains switch.

Just curious to your reasoning as to why you would need DP RCBOs in the above scenario where an upfront DP or multipole S-type RCD is used.

Why D ?

Most upfront S-types are DP/Multi-pole anyway, I have seen these double up as the Isolator too, in fact on the model forms there are boxes to fill in where the RCD is used as a mains switch.

Just curious to your reasoning as to why you would need DP RCBOs in the above scenario where an upfront DP or multipole S-type RCD is used.

N-E fault on the single pole RCBO protected circuit will take out the upstream type-s too. So much for minimising inconvenience in the event of a fault! lol

N-E fault on the single pole RCBO protected circuit will take out the upstream type-s too. So much for minimising inconvenience in the event of a fault! lol

Ah! Ok, good point, I have made the same case a few times on here myself about all SP RCBO boards as opposed to dual RCD boards, where they (SP RCBO's) won't isolate a N-E fault, no matter what the earthing system is, not just TT.

Last edited:
I think you can get them (at a price!) from the usual big three, ABB, Schneider and Siemens et al, along with a couple of others, but Wylex and other typical domestic types seem to be nearly all SP, or at least from the typical wholsalers off the shelf, the DP types you probably have to order.

I don't really see why it should be the case though, if I recall the DP ones did take up two modules width, but I am sure I saw an advert somewhere the newer DP ones were single module width (it may have been at the Elex show).

Edit: a quick Google shows some MK DP single module ones, also some Proteus ones.

Here is a Link to some ECD ones http://www.electricalcomponentsdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Compact_Mini_RCBO_Circuit_Breakers.html

Last edited:
Manufactors instruction leaflet states {on schneider electric rcbo)
Do not use on installations that require double pole switching eg IT or TT.
What they are trying to say is RCBOs are single pole and should not be used where double pole is required, They are not saying do not use on tt, why would they?

Think you'll find those RCBO's may well be SP+N rather than douple pole in the true sense of the meaning...

The description in the link states disconnection of both line and neutral upon tripping.
Never heard of this brand before. Interesting price too ! I might bear them in mind for the future.

The price seems too cheap, not sure if there is some catch, or it is a direct import from Asia without lots of markups. I'm almost tempted to buy one and test it, would be good to hear if anyone has actually used these.

They are similar price too Demans RCBOs for their Steeple range, although they are on SP. Only down side yo the ones linked is the supply needs wiring independently to it rather than just Busbar mount.

Ive used ECD RCBOs. They work fine & still do (regularly check the 30 odd I installed.) the test results for each RCBO were also "fine". There were a couple of out of the box non workers- new ones were sent immediately no questions asked.

But Ive had that with every make.

The description in the link states disconnection of both line and neutral upon tripping.
Never heard of this brand before. Interesting price too ! I might bear them in mind for the future.

Yes, but it'll be just switching the neutral, not DP in the true sense... Still serves the purpose though... DP RCBO's will have protection in both poles...

I’ve only got two RCBO’s in my flat, they’re coming out as soon as I get around to it.
I priced up Hager DP units, good job I was sat down when I saw the price. There’s bags of room in the board so a couple of MCB’s and a second RCD will be going in. It also means I can split the two rings between the two RCD’s. BTW it’s a 16[SUP]th[/SUP] board.

Before you ask, it’s how I found it when I moved in.

Reply to don't use rcbos for TT in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net