Discuss Dont you hate it when this happens in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Snapester

So i got to price a job, basically a garden centre wants an office in a summerhouse they only will have a few lights and power sockets! But when i arrive they have a length of 2.5mm T&E Ducted over 100m!! I try to tell them that they need to uprate it as the VD will be pretty high over that length which could cause overheating etc... But when i tell them the cost to run an armoured to supply the shed and lighting they require they decide they will stick with the 2.5mm! DIY JOB!! meh.......... Sorry just venting! :evil:

I take it you walked away?

On the plus side, they could run another 1 or maybe 2, 2.5 t&E and double or triple them up, if that's all B&Q or Wackes had in stock.

Nice, good to know standards are high in garden centres!
Just fit a 6A RCBO and tell them it is all within regs and watch them run a heater!

Ha i was actually putting a 6amp RCBO lol! Min i would say would be 6mm i think 4mm would be pushing it also. If the circuit is supplying an small CU which will supply both power and lighting, do you design the circuit with VD of 6.9v

Inform them that they can have a higher volt drop if you remove the lighting :)

Another case of "well, it works dunnit?"

You could always start spouting some rubbish about plants, and when they correct you, say "That's exactly how I feel about your lack of knowledge regarding electrics"....

Yes 6.9V is the max volt drop if there is a lighting circuit, you may get some leeway by splitting the circuit after the CU to check volt drop for each section, but generally if you aim for about 6V dropped in the sub main then the short length after the CU will take the rest.

When you have walked away tell them your reporting them to the Health and safety executive, it's a public place and work place, so covered by legislation a plenty, if the tight c u next Tuesdays wont put a cable in they deserve prosecution.
J

Yes this is what i was thinking which gives a 10mm which i feel maybe too expensive to stand a chance of getting the job.
And yes your right it was a case of well it works dunnit! In which trying to explain the concepts of saftey and VD and other items such as the cable ran through blue water pipe! no water in it! but ya know what can you do!

lol, indeed! I just wonder why they dont just do things right the first time round?

3 reasons...

1) Cost
2) Cost
3) Cost

Some idiot comes along who knows nothing and says "I can do that for £90"... in goes the T&E
A professional comes along and says "That is wrong and dangerous. Needs altering for £400"
Owner says "you are ripping me off, the other cable works"

Best way to deal with these customers is just to walk away. You will never win.

Yes indeed true, but what a sad pointless trade i feel im in where everyone moans about cost! Yet they go and spend £150 on their hair! ?????????

Well our regs are based on 230V nominal, if its running the average of what i see, then it may work very well indeed, and T&E seams to last forever buried in a plastic pipe, again from what i have seen. Anyway its hard to point to anything specific, except "not designed for that purpose etc" - frustrating i know. Best failure point will be on trip times i would have thought, that should do it.....

Reply to Dont you hate it when this happens in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock