Discuss Dont you just love it......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So its a friday...periodic inspection of a property thats just cluttered and things everywhere. Split into two rings...upstairs and downstairs. End to ends....no neutral...eurgh.
13 sockets on this ring which includes the kitchen.

A f**king friday in a cluttered house that borderlines on being a hoarder.

So neutral of one leg to earth of the other...going round with the plug in leads and find a handful of sockets that give no reading.

First socket off...boom...there it is hanging out the back re terminate do another end to end....and hoorah!!a low reading.

Meltdown averted and its another easy friday

i had an easy morning. N-E fault causing RCD to trip as soon as a decent sized load was switched on. found the fault, re-terminated 6.0mm in a new shower isolator, tested and buttoned up. 1 hour 10 minutes on site. even got back home before the pubs opened.

I had planned a nice easy morning, knowing that I had a gas engineer coming to service the boiler "between 12 and 6pm". Local job, same street as me, wanted a double socket in a cupboard for charging their Dyson.... Another double socket just outside the door... Plasterboard walls in a newish build. 30 minutes tops and a cup of coffee.

or so I thought.

Found the consumer unit.... 3 MCBs marked "sockets"... no mention of what's downstairs, upstairs or the kitchen. (split board, RCD covering all sockets)

So I have my buzzer tester plugged in... Flick off the first breaker.. still buzzing... Ok, second one off...buzzer stops. Great... Turn the first one back on and buzzing starts up again.
No other work done in the house since new so the RFC's have had 2 legs mixed up since day 1.

So my 30 minute job turns into an hour, and my coffee isn't even cold yet.

Sat in all afternoon and the gas engineer phones to say he'll be here by 5pm.

Periodics I don't even look for such a fault just note it in the Report.
Rear entry board resembling a spaghetti ejaculation.

Had three rings with no earth continuity, just make a note......

.....then curiosity got the better of me so started pratting about leaving one leg in the earth bar and checking for continuity against the other leg, got continuity on all three.

I'd put a large amount on that this hasn't been touched since first installed, must have been a post pub Friday afternoon back in 1990.

Thought about figuring out which should go with which, lost the will to live and just made a note on the cert,

They just don't pay enough for that kind of mental energy.

Reply to Dont you just love it......... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock