Discuss Doorbell Mystery!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Watty

Hi All,

I need a bit of guidance on wiring multiple doorchimes. I am working in a large house with front and backdoor pushbuttons and there are 5 no. internal 8v bells. The bell are single tone and do not differentiate between front and back doors. Im guessing the bells need to be wired in parallel with a separate tx for each bell. If so how does the push button operate the 5 bells and tx's

Any help is appreciated!!!

pushbuttons in parallel. in that situation i would be inclined to use wireless. use a 2 kits with 2 sounders on each, different tones for front and back.

You can get wired bells/ chimes 8v that have two tones one for front and one for back door.
I am having problem of finding bell/ chimes wired that has multiple tones as requested by client. Still searching ! :disappointed:

Yes i'm hearing what you are saying guys about a differentiation required between doors, but do you think it is possible to activate the 5 bell with one button?

Well,
Measure the current used by the bell, if it is more than an amp or so use a relay. If this is a big house and it sounds like a good client suggest you have a look at SAFELINK On-Line Store Products and price up various intercoms, you could explain to the client that it may be better for them and it could let them remotely release the door and so on.

the problem with multiple bell pushes wired in series is you would need a push that sent a different signal down the cable to identify each door,a bit like pulse code modulation,it could be done but the push would be bigger than normal to hold the circuitry.

pushbuttons in parallel. in that situation i would be inclined to use wireless. use a 2 kits with 2 sounders on each, different tones for front and back.

This is the way to go. Use the type where you alter the code. if all codes are set the same, one or more pushbuttons can operate as many doorbells as you want.
I can say this from experiance...i was the sparks sent to sort some others problems out on a very large site. No wiring had been installed as builders didn't want it, then at end of site they changed their minds. Bosses solution was to buy wireless kits, 40+ of them, and the on site sparks fitted them. Couldn't be bothered with mundane things like changing the factory set codes.
So any button pushed set off all doorbells within range. Great fun when trying to get access to one house for maintainance.....lots of doors used to open!
Cant remember the make but wholesalers might actually prove to be of some use for once if asked.

So any button pushed set off all doorbells within range. Great fun when trying to get access to one house for maintainance.....lots of doors used to open!

one way of ensuring you get a couple of brews.

Reply to Doorbell Mystery!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net