Discuss doorbell setups (wired) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

Phillcbr400

I know these are pretty straight forward but not having fitted one before I thought I would ask first.
Looking on TLC I think ill go for bandera door time and the TC TRV transformer. Transformer will be about 10mtrs from the chimer. And using alarm cable doubled up.
This chimer has a separate sound for the back door, I was thinking of using this with a simple magnetic door contact for an entry chime. Question is, would this work.
Just got too find a nice button now :)
If you have any preferences with using certain makes or models what are they? Only want a wired system.
Thanks
Phill

Haha would be cheaper but might aswell install one while I've got the house gutted.

what about the door bell load for only a second max ???

iv never had any issues

Need to find out what load the doorbell is drawing, door contacts are only small reed switch and not designed to take load

Is there a magnetic contactor/ or other device I could use for this application? It's in a domestic property so needs to look discreet.
I've been having a look around the net and not seen much.

A low powered relay should be ok, if your any good at electronics can draw you a simple 2 transistor switch...?

Only done basic electronics if I'm honest so you might just lose me there tazz. Always willing to learn tho.
Thinking a relay and transformer in a nice enclosure next to the consumer unit might be a good option. I can run a switch on the back door aswell.

You're an absolute star for doing that tazz, appreciate it a lot. Very kind of you.
Lucky I can pick must of the gear up through work so shouldn't cost me much.

Say I was wanting too add another 2 door contacts onto this, how would I then go about doing this? As the only problem I can see with making up another switch or even running multiple contacts on this one, is if one contact is already open and there is already a supply to the chime/bell then another one wouldn't make a difference.

Because there is virtually not current at the contacts, you can run as many as you wish, just wire in series with existing

My fault, woops! Although in my defence the circuit symbol shown is a standard normally open switch. Daz

The only problem I can see with this setup and i am most probably wrong is will the chime keep belling out if the contact is left open, and if using multiple contacts in series, one won't activate if another contact is already open.

The only problem I can see with this setup and i am most probably wrong is will the chime keep belling out if the contact is left open, and if using multiple contacts in series, one won't activate if another contact is already open.

Have you considered getting a decent sized bit of paper and a pencil and drawing the circuit out?

THEN maybe you'll see how it all works - or not?

Reply to doorbell setups (wired) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock