Discuss doorbell wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
a client asks me to put on a new doorbell, he bought a new one and has taken down the old one already. i had a look, the cable is 6 core cable like telephone cable. but he doorbell only has live and neutral, does anyone know how to wire it?

cheers

it must be ELV if wired in phone or alarm cable. there will be a transformer, usually but not always by the CU. you might find 8v or thereabouts on one pair and another pair wilol bell out when the push is pressed

From the tranny it is just wired like a light (chime/buzzer) via the switch (bell push).

the doorbell itself should only be push to make contact,maybe 12v on secondary of doorbell transformer,so just a pair either end for the 12v side of things.

god, that reminds me. few years ago, was called out to a fault on an alarm system. pressed the doorbell and got an almighty belt. Turned out that the bell was 240v and the nice men who had just fitted upvc door and frame had replaced the old bakelite bellpush with a nice shiny brass one. Turned out ok though, did new doorbell on tranny and got a CU change job out of it ( 16th Ed. 1 RCD for the lot.

No insulation?,well one way forward imo would be wireless doorbell,fits in 5 mins,remove and make safe old doorbell system,otherwise you would have to run a new cable to doorbell imo a waste of time and money.

imo the 6 cores look naked and no insulation around them, that is what puzzled me,

sorry for my english, i was not educated in english and only emigated to this country for a few years, but i did get qualified technically, and i try my best to finish works carefully and safely.

nothing wrong with your english,you say the 6 cores look naked,has to be transparent insulation,is it 6 sepaerate cores?running from the bell transformer to the doorbell?

Bluesky
The reason it is wired in 6-core is the spark who wired it probably did burglar alarms as well (like me) and he was tooled up with a staple gun etc so to get bell cable and clips then mess about with a hammer is a waste of time so to wire iy think about how you would wire a light circuit ie select red and black from the 6 core ( cant pick blue and brown as Brown is in the 8 core) connect red and black across the push button connect red and black across bell run both cables to transformer connect red from push button to transformer black from bell to transformer the connect together the red from the bell and the black from the push button

thanks guys i have sorted the problem this afternoon, i was wrong, the cable was so thin and looked naked but actually i peeled off the cover and found they do have insulation cover, the wiring was exactly like a light switch,

thanks guys for your help, i would not sort it our without your kind help this afternoon

Reply to doorbell wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock