Discuss Doorbells again - volt drop / max bell wire length in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I've been trying to work out whether a doorbell will work with approximately 16m run of bell wire. I've tried to find out volt drop, resistance (to calculate volt drop), or even CSA of typical bell wire. But no luck. I tested an approx. 3m length with my MFT and got 0.87 Ohms. That gives 4.64 Ohms over 16m which is almost 40% of 12V (assuming 1A load)! What makes me question this is that by the same logic even a 9m run would give over 20% volt drop and I have wired doorbells with this sort of length before and had no problem.

If you are wondering the bell wire I have is figure of eight from TLC: Twin Fig 8 Bell Wire Solid 100M - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CABELL.html .

What am I doing wrong here? Is bell wire all the same in terms of CSA, resistance and volt drop and if so what is the maximum length? If not, where do I get the figures and how do I calculate it?

0.87 for 3m seems way too high. did you null the leads?

Is the doorbell definitely 1 Amp? Plus don't forget a lot of doorbells will probably still operate at a few volts under nominal operating voltage.

Thanks DPG! I don't have it yet (don't even know whether the customer will want a bell or chime). But I just checked a few on TLC and they say then can be located up to 60m away from push when on transformer. So problem solved!
[automerge]1571762382[/automerge]
0.87 for 3m seems way too high. did you null the leads?
Yes, and repeated the test a second time to make sure. At the far end I had just twisted the cores together, so maybe the connection there was not good.

Last edited:

Reply to Doorbells again - volt drop / max bell wire length in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net