Discuss Double light switch wiring puzzle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tony K

DIY
Reaction score
Help please. My 85 year old father removed a double switch light fitting and two of the wires broke off and I’m not 100% certain where they go or whether the remaining wires are in the correct slots as unfortunately he had a stroke 20 years ago and his speech is impaired.

I bought a new fitting thinking I could do it but am puzzled.

Existing wiring
77E5AE8B-6AB3-4CD3-827B-7540DDC18639.jpeg

New switch
46A99D90-D0EE-4367-81EA-0D6A4545205A.jpeg

Help appreciated. Father reluctance to break his bubble. Many thanks

As a speculative guess connect those wires to the bottom two empty terminals, one in each. If this works then we can interpret these connections to the new switch.

Hi Westward10, sadly only one light worked, so I’m thinking that maybe the link shown on my wiring photo connecting the L1 on the lefthand side to the common on the right hand side should actually connect the commons on left to right. What do you think?

Have the wires in the left switch been disconnected or is that how they have always been. Is the right switch two way with another switch.

Which switch worked, the left or right and how many blacks are connected in the back box.

Looking again I think there is a loop in loop out cable so one needs to go top right the other into L1.

Have the wires in the left switch been disconnected or is that how they have always been. Is the right switch two way with another switch.
One switch controls the bathroom light and Is one way the other switch appears to control the bathroom cabinet light. This is the one that is working. I’m using the original switch at the moment. Also with the original configuration (as per photo 1) with the loose wire into right L1 and Right L2. Under that configuration only the bathroom cabinet light worked.

If the cabinet light works on the switch, the two wires you have connected must be the live power in and the live feed to the cabinet light, but we don't know which is which.
With the power turned OFF, mark those two wires somehow (dots on the wire with permanent marker is a common way), then disconnect all the wires from the switch, and temporarily join all four incoming red wires together. (put them all in any terminal of the switch), and see if both lights come on when the power is temporarily turned back on.
Is there a shaver socket in the bathroom that is not part of the cabinet?

Reply to Double light switch wiring puzzle in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net