Discuss Double Oven (built in) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Damosmomie

Hi I am new to this site but would like some information.

I am just in the process of re-designing my kitchen. I am going to have a double built in oven in my kitchen. My house has recently been re-wired and the cooker has it's own circuit with an isolator switch. Now what I want to know is can I wire my double oven into the existing electric point already on my wall or do I have to have it all done differently.

My double oven will be about 12 feet from the electric point & isolator already installed in my home now would I be able to run the wiring in some sort of trunking from the connection point to my oven. I have wired up electric cookers in the past with no problems at all.

Help gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi I am new to this site but would like some information.

I am just in the process of re-designing my kitchen. I am going to have a double built in oven in my kitchen. My house has recently been re-wired and the cooker has it's own circuit with an isolator switch. Now what I want to know is can I wire my double oven into the existing electric point already on my wall or do I have to have it all done differently.

My double oven will be about 12 feet from the electric point & isolator already installed in my home now would I be able to run the wiring in some sort of trunking from the connection point to my oven. I have wired up electric cookers in the past with no problems at all.

Help gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You'll need to state the cable size on the existing supply, the rating of the protective device and the combined load of the double oven.

An approximation of cable length too.

Thanks for your speedy reply. I have just looked in my consumer unit and the wire coming from my cooker label is 6mm and the rating is Wylex NSB32 which I presume is 32amp. This then runs to a switch on my wall where I can switch the cooker on & off. There is no amp rating on this so I do not know if it has any. My original electric cooker connection point is about a foot away from the isolator switch. I want to connect my double oven to the original connection point already installed & then run the wire about 12 foot to my double oven would this be ok??

Once again thanks in advance.

technically, to comply with regs. the isolator should be within 2 metres of the appliance. in your own house, it's really your decision whether to connect to existing isolator, or relocate the isolator. calculate the load by applying diversity to the rated KW, 6mm cable will take 32-45amps depending on installation method and length of run.

Agree with telectrix about the 2M horizontal distance thing, and a 32 A mcb is usually considered appropriate for household cookers up to 15kW. Whether the 6 mm cable can cope will be down to the length of the run and the installation method (as said above)

I have a similar job coming up, but the hob will be 30amps, with a built in oven being 30 amps aswell, so I have worked out that it will have to be two seperate circuits of 6mm to individual isolators to individual cooker connection units...is this correct?

I have a similar job coming up, but the hob will be 30amps, with a built in oven being 30 amps aswell, so I have worked out that it will have to be two seperate circuits of 6mm to individual isolators to individual cooker connection units...is this correct?

Both appliances can be run from a single circuit and single isolator as long as they both are within 2M of it. The cable will depend on the run and the installation method, but it is more than likely that a 32A mcb could provide for both because of diversity. (That said having 2 cables won't do any harm apart from expense and complicating your design calc due to grouping ).

but have you allowed for diversity? if your total rating is 60A, then the correct load for cable selection is 10A + 30% of 50A i.e. 10A+16.6A = 26.6A ( add 5A if the switch has a socket outlet) so max. 31.6A =6mm cable on 32A MCB or even 40A MCB. depewnds on installation method.

for fooks sake, stop being so bloody tight and call an electrician...................i mean, if u needed eye surgery, would u try it urself!
Stop messing with stuff u don't know about as u clearly dont know what u are doing!!!!!!!
This is to the original OP!

Reply to Double Oven (built in) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net