Discuss double oven & halogen hob wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electric-tec

Hi Guys,

Here We Go With Another Post That Causes Many Different Opinions On the Forum.

Been asked to do the wiring for a new fitted kitchen in the next few weeks, The work includes modifying the ring circuit to include a new 20A D.P switch for a dishwasher.

The difference of opinons starts here, At present the customer has a free standing cooker wired in 6mm T&E with a 45A DP switch protected by a type B 32a breaker in a haeger consumer unit with rcd main switch,

The new appliances are from howdens joinery, HALOGEN HOB 6.3kW........... DOUBLE OVEN 4kW Total Rating 10.3kW = 10300/230 = 44.78A

Applying Diversity first 10A then 30% of remaining load 10 + (30% 34.7) 10.43A = 20.43A

One spark has offered her to upgrade breaker to 40A and keep 6mm cable wiring both from cooker outlet plate

Other has recommended 45A breaker with a new 10mm cable ran to existing 45A ccu then 2 x 6mm tails from a dual plate outlet to oven and hob

the consumer unit is 8mtrs away in the hall she says she doesnt want the floors lifted to upgrade the cable.

the only way to upgrade the cable without causing destruction is in mini trunking out the db board through the wall into garage along wall into utility room then into kitchen 15mtrs.

jobs mine now ,so looking to see what the preffered opinion is to installation method would be . im thinking after appling diversity 6mm is ok , in fairness this is the 1st ive ever done a double oven and halogen hob its 90% of the time single ovens and gas hobs ive done

Any feedback greatly appeciate

Electric -Tec

just fit a double outlet plate to existing. 6mm on a 32A MCB will be fine.

Ask the other sparks why it should be upgraded to a 40a breaker, then kindly point them to the back of the OSG where it clearly states about cookers up to 15kW.

The reason people sling 10mm is for future preferece - i.e. a range at some point. But unless it's a bigger house it'll never happen.

The reason people sling 10mm is for future preferece - i.e. a range at some point. But unless it's a bigger house it'll never happen.

more likely the reason is 1. they don't understand diversity. 2. they can make a day's wages chucking in an unnecessary 10mm. cable.

Reply to double oven & halogen hob wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net