Discuss double pole switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electrician4u

Was wondering what the proceedure was for changing a consumer unit. I was under the impression I could request EDF to install a double pole switch so I'm not messing about waiting for someone to come and pull the main fuse (or to break the seal and do that myself).

I called EDF and they said I needed to contact a private electrician to do it- I didn't have the heart to tell him I was one!...so according to them, there's no alternative than to pay £55 odd for someone to come and pull the fuse, for which there's a 2 week wait.

Any advice or suggestions?

Was wondering what the proceedure was for changing a consumer unit. I was under the impression I could request EDF to install a double pole switch so I'm not messing about waiting for someone to come and pull the main fuse (or to break the seal and do that myself).

I called EDF and they said I needed to contact a private electrician to do it- I didn't have the heart to tell him I was one!...so according to them, there's no alternative than to pay £55 odd for someone to come and pull the fuse, for which there's a 2 week wait.

Any advice or suggestions?
Pull the bugger out yourself, make sure you isolate the installation first so there's nothing being drawn, there never were any seals on it were there;)

I actually asked the tech helpline at ELECSA and they said I gotta do the right thing and pay to have someone come out and pull the fuse. When I said the forums all suggested pulling the fuse yourself he said he wasn't there to offer illegal advise- I suppose understandable, but according to the electrical safety council, they're on the verge of allowing competant electricians the right to "remove and replace distributors' service fuses when such means of temporary isolation is necessary to enable certain electrical work on site, such as the replacement of a consummer unit".

Whether they'll actually get around to making a decision remains to be seen as they've already met several times to discuss this issue-just DO IT ALREADY! JESUS

I've got to say that I dispair at the rules and regulations sometimes i.e.a customer told me the other day that he thought his housing estate wouldn't allow me to do any electrical work cos I'm ELECSA registered and not NICEIC registered. Has anyone else come across this ? I sometimes wish I was a Polish electrician with no knowledge of the Regs, doing cash in hand work

some people/authorities prefer nic because they are more widely marketed and known. ive always pulled the incoming supply fuse out myself, never met anyone who actually bothered to pay someone else and wait weeks for that 3 second job

Safety first guys, I will always pull the fuse to work safely.

I let the customer know what I am doing and leave them with the suppliers metering department contact details so they can arrange for it to be resealed (if they choose to) normally approx £40 - £50 for the privelege. (Thats what British Gas quoted me the last time)

Rgds

G

Whilst I have pulled the fuse (the seal was already broken)...there is still a word of caution here...

Firstly, by pulling the fuse, or messing with any DNO kit, then you are breaking the law.

Secondly,it is not unknown, but very rare, for the service head/fuse holder to break-up when pulling, replacing...therefore, this could induce a 1kA odd short circuit...not nice, and this can kill. and/or induce serious burns, blinding etc.

So, whilst the practice is generally widespread, and nigh-on without incident...you are on your own, and god-forbid should something go wrong, and you survive, you will be prosecuted.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best, i.e. basic things like, turn your head away (or wear a face shield) when you are pulling/re-instating the fuse...if you have live-working gloves and boots, think about wearing them...you might look a plonker in them, and you will get stick from your mates, but it could save your life.

Apologies for the rant, but I felt that since there are lots of new members signing up, many which are trainees/apprentices, then they need to be able to understand the entire implications.

Yooj

Whilst I have pulled the fuse (the seal was already broken)...there is still a word of caution here...

Firstly, by pulling the fuse, or messing with any DNO kit, then you are breaking the law.

Secondly,it is not unknown, but very rare, for the service head/fuse holder to break-up when pulling, replacing...therefore, this could induce a 1kA odd short circuit...not nice, and this can kill. and/or induce serious burns, blinding etc.

So, whilst the practice is generally widespread, and nigh-on without incident...you are on your own, and god-forbid should something go wrong, and you survive, you will be prosecuted.

Plan for the worst, and hope for the best, i.e. basic things like, turn your head away (or wear a face shield) when you are pulling/re-instating the fuse...if you have live-working gloves and boots, think about wearing them...you might look a plonker in them, and you will get stick from your mates, but it could save your life.

Apologies for the rant, but I felt that since there are lots of new members signing up, many which are trainees/apprentices, then they need to be able to understand the entire implications.

Yooj

Anyone who is experiencded can easily tell when the fuse isn't going to come out without a fight, in which case the supplier should be contacted.
I pull the fuse every time, and then if there's new tails to be reconencted, I contact them to have them come out and install the tails into the meter.The blokes have never complianed that I have tampered with seals or fuses.

On my own properties i have asked the network supplier to come and fit an isolator and this has always been done free of charge within a couple of weeks.
I have watched them pull the main fuse and they always put a massive glove (like a super thick marigold) on an turn away as they do it. So as yooj says - caution is sensible.

by the network supplier , do you mean EDF (who people round here are signed up with) or the company who own the cables, etc.?

I am fairly certain that EON, Npower and scottish power have all installed isolators for me in the past - free of charge. Have just phoned them up and they ring back within a day or two to give me a date for them to put an isolator in (usually within a fortnight).

Reply to double pole switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net