Discuss Double socket spurred off of Ring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CFTIS

-
Reaction score
Ok so I'd like your opinions on this as I seem to be the minority on this.

I'm fairly newly qualified and obviously still learning everyday.

Electricians I work with and everywhere on the web says that spurring a double socket from another that is on a ring final circuit is fine, as long as it's just the one!

Ok so let's set the scene, one double socket spurred off of another via 1x 2.5 t and e, the source socket used is in a ring final circuit on a 32a mcb.

With my understanding 1 single 2.5mm t and e has a ccc of say 27a ref method c, so you could potentially plug 2x 3kw heaters into your spurred socket on full power and thus over load the cable but not the mcb causing potential danger ??

I know any danger is highly unlikely as you'd nearly never plug anything in to draw such a load but surely the potential to is enough for this not to be good practise ??

I must be missing something as everything and everyone I ask seems to say it's fine but surely you'd just extend the ring circuit or add a fused spur first before the additional socket ??

thoughts?

TIA.

And it would be more than highly unlikely that two appliances consuming 3kW each would both be plugged into the same double socket and/or running simultaneously.

Ok so I'd like your opinions on this as I seem to be the minority on this.

I'm fairly newly qualified and obviously still learning everyday.

Electricians I work with and everywhere on the web says that spurring a double socket from another that is on a ring final circuit is fine, as long as it's just the one!

Ok so let's set the scene, one double socket spurred off of another via 1x 2.5 t and e, the source socket used is in a ring final circuit on a 32a mcb.

With my understanding 1 single 2.5mm t and e has a ccc of say 27a ref method c, so you could potentially plug 2x 3kw heaters into your spurred socket on full power and thus over load the cable but not the mcb causing potential danger ??

I know any danger is highly unlikely as you'd nearly never plug anything in to draw such a load but surely the potential to is enough for this not to be good practise ??

I must be missing something as everything and everyone I ask seems to say it's fine but surely you'd just extend the ring circuit or add a fused spur first before the additional socket ??

thoughts?

TIA.
Suggest you familiarise, yourself with Appendix 15 Regulation 433.1.204 Fig 15a 17th edition page 453, gives you all the information you require I should think.

you've answered you own question, the 2.5mm cable (27a rating) serving the spur will not be overloaded by two 13a appliances (26a).

Ok so that does make sense and I knew it was something simple I was missing, however what if they had an extension lead plugged in and had something else plugged in pulling another 1kw putting the load to 30a ?

I know this is ridiculously unlikely but it's still possible, if this happened could it start a fire then you'd be at fault and liable ?

you've answered you own question, the 2.5mm cable (27a rating) serving the spur will not be overloaded by two 13a appliances (26a).

Even if both points of the socket outlet were drawing 13A it would be an extreme installation method which would result in the cable combusting (Is that a word?)

Reply to Double socket spurred off of Ring. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net