Discuss Double Socket to Triple Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leejcooper

Got a another job to look at and customer is looking at changing the double socket in there living room to a triple one with one of those adaptors you can get (room has just been replastered, big mistake should have sorted this first). Question is what tests should be carried out and is this compliant as CU is pre 16th Edition no RCD's as basically making an alteration to exisitng circuit. I did suggest just using an 2 way adaptor or extension lead but they don't like the look it gives. Socket would feed a phone, standing light and electric recliner chair?

I can't see an issue. Those triple sockets are usually fused to 13A, which when you think about it is actually offering more protection than an ordinary socket. Householder can replace damaged outlets, and although this is not the case a bit of commonsense can be applied here I think. I would discuss RCD protection and see if you can add an RCBO to the circuit maybe?

You are not changing the ciruit cabling, and are replacing a 2 gang socket for a 3 gang socket so I'd venture to suggest that this comes under a like for like change so a Zs is the test to do.

Tin hat on.

Thanks for the replies
So Minor Works cetificate will be fine? and i know they are looking at an upgrade on the CU in a few months time so this will cover the RCD side of it.

MWC testing Zs only. Nothing more is required unless during the change of the socket you see very old cabling then it would make sense to IR the circuit.

You can get RCD protected triple sockets built in or just fuse protected from suppliers. I wouldnt do any tests just a str8 swap its just the same as you plugging in a 2 way adaptor like you say but I wouldnt advise somebody to do that, I was once told by the fire service when they come to fit my smoke detectors that them 2 way adaptors are one of the most common causes of house fires! Str8 up bro

Reply to Double Socket to Triple Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net