Discuss double socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andyg0507

hi guys/girls ive come over from the plumbing forum, and i come in peace.:)

just moved into a new property (council property) the problem ive got is a double light switch at the bottom of the stairs.

Preety new halogen light fittings with posh(ish) double switches, the left hand side switches the landing light on, as does the right, but only if the left is switched to the off posistion.

The hall light will not come on for love nor money, there is power going to the light (checked with volt indicator)

The wiring set up is old wiring, what i have is one twin wire (black & red) then two singles (red).

The switch also has a link going from com 2 com??

any ideas???

muchly appreciated

firstly, there is a fault with the wiring. this is the responsibility of your landlord. you need to contact him to sort it out. secondly, if you are not qualified to work on it, don.t touch it!. too many guys have been injured or caused fires through well-meaning intentions. sorry to sound negative, but that's the way it is.

IMO if its faulty Get an electrician n DONT mess around yourself its the Landlords responsablilty but if you have caused the problem fitting new switches ect you should get a qualified electrician to do it

hence the reason why im a plumber and not a sparky, dont recall saying i fitted them, only asked for advice, which one of you has given and appreciated, bit childish about the plumbing forum tho, but hey ho, ile call a sparky.

thanks.

Yea where abouts are you? If it's a council place they should sort it out for you (though they'll probably just make a bigger mess!). There's no way to say without looking at it, to be honest.

hence the reason why im a plumber and not a sparky, dont recall saying i fitted them, only asked for advice, which one of you has given and appreciated, bit childish about the plumbing forum tho, but hey ho, ile call a sparky.

thanks.

should have seen the response i got from some guy called "puddles" on the plumbing forum! all i asked about was a pilot light and boiler not firing up and he went in to a mad tangent.

but as others have said just ring council

if it`s a council house and a light on the steps they will be out normally the same day. also some of the councils are funny about people doing work in their houses now even if your a qualified electrician. i had an interesting conversation with a surveyor once who said he was going to prosecute me under part p for replacing a light switch in someones hallway???? and yep he was let to dig the hole quite big before i showed him the errors of his words :D:D

Reply to double socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net