Discuss Double to single light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Johnd79

DIY
Reaction score
Good morning all. I am new to the forum and hoping someone can help with a query i have. Currently i have a double light switch which operates two separate lights at each end of my kitchen. I would like to change the light switch to a single allowing me to turn on/off both lights at the same time. My question is,is this ok to do or do i have to keep them individually switched?. Any help would be appreciated.

It is probably possible but would need to see the wiring behind the switch. Is one of the lights two way switched from another switch.

It is probably possible but would need to see the wiring behind the switch. Is one of the lights two way switched from another switch.
Thanks for the reply.No ,neither of the lights are two way. I will try and get a pic of the wiring later today.

Sorry about the time its taken,ive attached a couple of pics

Attachments

• Double to single light switch 20200604_130325 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200604_130325.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Double to single light switch 20200604_130311 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200604_130311.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 28
Something looks a bit suspicious there, where does the separate brown go to out of the back box. It can be done, lose the red link wire and connect the brown connected with it into Com of the new switch. The brown and blue at the bottom of the old switch connect together into L1 of the new switch. The blue should have brown sleeve/tape on it to indicate it is live.

The brown with the red link is the permanent live. Remove the red link.
Put the other 2 cables (one brown, one blue) together on the bottom of the switch... (if the perm live is the top)
Mark the blue with a bit of brown tape, just to show its a live conductor, and remember to isolate the circuit beforehand.

Thanks,i have removed the switch and its gotten even stranger,turns out the cables were joined behind. Ive attatched pics of what im left with.

Attachments

• Double to single light switch 20200604_135335 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200604_135335.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Double to single light switch 20200604_135330 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200604_135330.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 27
Ok... that makes things 10 times more complicated. :eek:

Do you know which of those was connected as the permanent live?
Theres now more conductors than there was before, and there seems to be a missing red from one of the twins.

Im afraid its time to get a professional involved with test equipment to trace each conductor.

Thought as much. As above I think you need an electrician to safely reinstall that so all conductors are correctly contained/terminated.

Ok... that makes things 10 times more complicated. :eek:

Do you know which of those was connected as the permanent live?
Theres now more conductors than there was before, and there seems to be a missing red from one of the twins.

Im afraid its time to get a professional involved with test equipment to trace each conductor.

Not only the red, but the cpc seems to be cut off as well ?

Reply to Double to single light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock