Discuss Double Trouble in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

EddieB

-
Arms
Reaction score
Whilst replacing an old DB I found that an outside light had been wired in and doubled up at the MCB, foolishly I had counted the the old fuses without taking the cover off, the new DB I had bought allowed for no more expansion can I double up at the MCB with this extra light, rings circuits I know is a no goer for an additional socket to be added due to the rating of the MCB (32a) but can I double up on a lighting circuit.:confused:

Welcome!

What happens if the customer wants additional installs in the future and no spare ways?

Not good practice to double up and it doesn't comply, I would just exchange the CU for one with more ways plus expansion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warren G
Thanks for the prompt reply Let's assume I cannot change it, I know it aint good practise but what doesn't it comply to? is there a regulation that stipulates you cannot do it.

Hi mate,

Take a look at Big Red - 314 Division of Installation (314.4) in particular.

Sorry Mr G gotta disagree with ya there!

Doubling up on an MCB is no different from teeing off of a rose somewhere!

As long as ALL the lighting is not on one MCB if there are just 2 circuits then no prob!

Same with RFC and spurring off 32A MCB. No Different than a spur from a socket outlet.
:)

Sorry Mr G gotta disagree with ya there!

Doubling up on an MCB is no different from teeing off of a rose somewhere!

As long as ALL the lighting is not on one MCB if there are just 2 circuits then no prob!

Same with RFC and spurring off 32A MCB. No Different than a spur from a socket outlet.
:)

Very logical point Jas, think your right on that! :eek:

Had a dig around and found thats its a question / answer that is published in the NICEIC technical helpline book 'From the phoneline'....

Question There are no spare ways in the DB for my new lighting circuit can i use a existing one?

Answer YES although Reg 314.4 requires each final circuit to be connected to a seperate way in a bistribution board, a circuit may have more than one "branch" connected to the appropriate way.

nice one! ;)

Thanks boys
It's good to Talk

There you go mate, thanks what the forums all about. A logical answer. ;)

Reply to Double Trouble in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock