Discuss doubling cable over for termination? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Working onsite with a few apprentices the other day and noticed that every cable they terminated into the mcb or rcbo was doubled over, so when I asked them why they were doing it there reply was college taught them to do it that way. Now I have always terminated the cable without doubling it over, so am I wrong or the college lecturer????

people do it because then there is more of the conductor gripped by the terminations- most people only do it with 1mm upto 2.5mm- any bigger then it gets a bit more messy/tricky

This is not a new thing Guys who have been in the game 50 years do it, I think it is a good practice jmo though.

I too was taught to double over and "fill the hole with copper", the intent being that if the terminal is designed for a larger csa cable then the terminal screw will still bite on the cable and not pass the cable down the side of the screw and cause a looser connection that may fail.
I think this is the current thinking and seems to be generally approved of.

I do not agree and think that careful termination should avoid this problem and if you get the terminal biting only on the loose end that is connected by a heavily folded strand to the conductor in use this may not be good. Also the number of doubled over ends I have to cut off when adding cables to a terminal is annoying.

However this is not the approved wisdom, so I just carry on my merry way.

I've never done it as I was told it was doubling your csa, how does this affect using torque setting screwdriver? Also if you look on mcb ' s or rcbo's it shows the cable as normal not doubled over.

Generally MCBs etc have cage clamp terminals and so should be able to tighten accurately on any cable, though having a single conductor at the edge of the terminal may cause strain on the mobile plate as it will clamp at an angle. This is less likely with a doubled conductor.
Obviously this has no effect on csa as the csa terminated is immaterial to the conductor csa that is carrying the current.
Torque screwdrivers will still tighten to the same torque irrespective of the content of the terminal, you could ask the same question for when you terminate two cables in an MCB, or more.

I always double over on 1mm,1.5 & 2.5 when there is only a single conductor being terminated. On sockets where there are 2 x 2.5mm T&Es I'll double the sleeved CPCs, I just think this method gives a better connection in general.

I used to double years ago but very rarely do these days and I can't remember ever being called back to a job for a broken cable or bad connection. Most terminals are perfectly capable of taking a single core adequately. I suppose it's case of how you feel but situations occur where removal of cables, particularly in future testing circumstances, can cause problems and over exertion to the cable and terminals.
I also find many 'rushed' jobs where doubled cables connections involve the insulation being captured by screws.

Last edited:
For myself,doubling up would depend on circumstance...some cage clamps are,or end up,with a curve,and therefore make a better termination,with the single conductor being centered. Doubling up makes this easier to achieve.

We all have our "quaint foibles",and i suppose this does not matter,providing the end result is a reliable,tidy termination.

For many years now,i have never fitted a plug top,without end-sleeving the conductors,and having a tad of slack cable on the earth pin...

I have several Mustad fly-fishing mini boxes,filled with the variety of ferrules required,spread about my kit...

Extravagant...unnecessary...OCD ? ....you decide...:ihih:

I too was taught to double over and "fill the hole with copper", the intent being that if the terminal is designed for a larger csa cable then the terminal screw will still bite on the cable and not pass the cable down the side of the screw and cause a looser connection that may fail.
I think this is the current thinking and seems to be generally approved of.

I do not agree and think that careful termination should avoid this problem and if you get the terminal biting only on the loose end that is connected by a heavily folded strand to the conductor in use this may not be good. Also the number of doubled over ends I have to cut off when adding cables to a terminal is annoying.

However this is not the approved wisdom, so I just carry on my merry way.

Yep this is the reason for teaching apprentices to double over. If you double over a cable it can't happen, but there is the chance of it happening with a single solid conductor.
I think this practice is even more relevant nowadays with the reduced practical training in some sectors of the industry and poorly manufactured screw terminals in some equipment.

Working onsite with a few apprentices the other day and noticed that every cable they terminated into the mcb or rcbo was doubled over, so when I asked them why they were doing it there reply was college taught them to do it that way. Now I have always terminated the cable without doubling it over, so am I wrong or the college lecturer????

Personally, I've been taught any termination that is having one cable that can fit two the end should be doubled over.

I double over the cable on 1.5 and 2.5mm reason with the crap screws on consumer units and accessories they trend to dig into the copper and causes a weak spot , when the cable is doubled over then the surface area making contact on the connections is doubled thus reducing the risk of the cable being weakend , on MCB's it does tend to get a better connection bent over as at that point the connection area is doubled, just my opinion.

i twist and double oover everything upto 2.5 unless there are multiple cables then i dont usually.

i do and i dont with earth's it depends what they are connected to
Two 2.5 solid core conductors at a socket outlet, and you twist them together ? or am I reading you wrong?

Reply to doubling cable over for termination? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock