Discuss Doubling Conductors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondering what people did.

What cables do you double over? 1mm, 1.5mm, 2.5mm? single

do you double over if theres two 1mm cables going into a fitting if its tight?

Also how tight do you tighten 1mm or 1.5mm

Is it easy to over tighten these? How about 2.5mm, i usually tighten 2.5 as much as it will go, within reason.

1 X 1mm or 1 x 1.5 I'm doubling, 1x2.5 I'm probably doubling
2 X 1mm I'm not because it's usually tight.
How tight to tighten, it's a feel that you get from experience

We double over any single terminated solid or stranded conductor up to and including 2.5mm. How tight? Well I was always taught that you tighten it as tight as you possibly can! Some will probably pipe up about torque screwdrivers an' all that nonsense but in reality you should be able to hang on a correctly terminated cable without it coming out, if you can do that then you've tightened it correctly! lol

Edit: Disclaimer... I'm not advocating using your newly terminated cables as rope swings!

I was mainly just wondering about doubling 2x1mm cables as ive never used 1mm before, it's always been 1.5mm which i was taught to not double if there's 2 or more but 1mm seems alot more fragile.

If I have one 2.5 twin at the accessory I will double over all conductors. If I have two 2.5 twins at the accessory I will not double the live conductors but double the cpc. This is how I was taught and I will always do this.

i would double the smaller ones if i could, but i don't usually get the chance. once i've stripped the cables with my teeth, they just jump into the correct terminals and the screws tighten up on their own.

I was always asked at colllege by the tutor, "have you tightened them terminals properly?" my reply was always "yes, as tight as I could" Then the tutor would go and check and eneded up putting another quater turn on them, with a big smile!!! He always said that it doesnt matter how tight you think you have it, after a bit of time and because copper is a softish metal, you will nearly always get another quarter turn on a terminal.

Jay

I was always asked at colllege by the tutor, "have you tightened them terminals properly?" my reply was always "yes, as tight as I could" Then the tutor would go and check and eneded up putting another quater turn on them, with a big smile!!! He always said that it doesnt matter how tight you think you have it, after a bit of time and because copper is a softish metal, you will nearly always get another quarter turn on a terminal.

Jay

...and then it snaps off!

Jay

The dreaded copper creep!

A good example would be to 25mm tails. These need to be nipped up again after 5 mins. Same with most cables but go easy on anything less than 1.5mm or you will end up excessively crushing it and it will snap off.

As has has been said earlier, you get a feel for it which is just as effective as these gimmicky expensive torque screwdrivers - Tins hats at the ready!!

Hi guys
Please dont call me a p--- but dont the rules say you need to use a torque screwdriver my firm does

The 'rules' say we should follow manufacturers instructions, so if they specify the use of torque screwdrivers then yes we technically should. But then again, who's gonna know if you did or not?

This brings back memories ...remember my apprenticeship and doing my first terminations and wondering if they were too tight or not tight enough but at the time i was told to just unscrew the termination and check what if any damage id done to the copper and a light indent was about right where-as a indent that changes the overall shape of the copper is too much and creates a weak spot both electrically and mechanically.

Nice little poem regarding the white nuckles but cant really apply as a 9st weakling is gonner have alot more effort to tighten the termination than a muscle bound Arnie :20:

Reply to Doubling Conductors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net