Discuss Doubling up meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just wondering what the regulations are on doubling up meter tails?
My girlfriends dad wants to convert the garage into a 'granny flat', and I plan on doubling up the connections in the meter to take a new 16mm supply to the garage. Opinions?

Just wondering what the regulations are on doubling up meter tails?
My girlfriends dad wants to convert the garage into a 'granny flat', and I plan on doubling up the connections in the meter to take a new 16mm supply to the garage. Opinions?
No, just no!
Henleys are the way forward on this.
However, before going down the route of doing anything with the tails you should be asking how much extra load will this "granny flat" be putting on the existing installation. My guess is that it won't be very much so why not take a look at altering the existing circuits before getting into something that, with all due respect, you don't appear to have much idea of.
The reasons I say that are how big do you think the terminals are on this meter that you should not even be thinking about touching because it isn't your toy to play with and how many 16mm cables do you think you can cram in there without giving some of them a haircut which is something you should never even think about considering

Cut seals? god no :coolgleamA: . I'm probably going to instal henley blocks to be honest. The existing house already has an electric shower and cooker. And this new flat is also going to have an electric shower. Oh and there's going to be a hot tub installed in the garden. I know, tell me about it. So this is why Im running a new supply in.

Think you need special permission for it as so many people were doing it badly and renting them out.
Maybe it's a London thing ,maybe I'm wrong ( as usually )

Cut seals? god no :coolgleamA: . I'm probably going to instal henley blocks to be honest. The existing house already has an electric shower and cooker. And this new flat is also going to have an electric shower. Oh and there's going to be a hot tub installed in the garden. I know, tell me about it. So this is why Im running a new supply in.

forgive me me for saying this but you are not running in a new supply!

Reply to Doubling up meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock