Discuss Down lights above bath? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

action jackson

I currently have 240V IP65 down lights in the ceiling above my bath. I'm in the process of fitting a wall mounted shower head which will be very close (200mm) away from the ceiling down light.

Is this ok?

For info the circuit is RCD protected.

The lights were installed sometime last year (before my time) and on investigation i have noticed that the wiring is sitting ontop of the ceiling plasterboard! I live in a first floor appartment so there is no access from above and i suspect this is the reason.

Should i ask the electrician to take a look with a view to clipping to the joists but i can't see how it can be done without cutting out sections of the firerated ceiling?

The lights were installed sometime last year (before my time) and on investigation i have noticed that the wiring is sitting ontop of the ceiling plasterboard! I live in a first floor appartment so there is no access from above and i suspect this is the reason.

Should i ask the electrician to take a look with a view to clipping to the joists but i can't see how it can be done without cutting out sections of the firerated ceiling?

Without sounding sarcastic I would ask the question
Why would you want to go this trouble for something that wont be a hazzard ?

Will there be much hiking going on up there with people tripping over these cables
The cables should have been secured when installed,its a bit pointless now

Without sounding sarcastic I would ask the question
Why would you want to go this trouble for something that wont be a hazzard ?

Will there be much hiking going on up there with people tripping over these cables
The cables should have been secured when installed,its a bit pointless now

I'm not particularly concerned however i like things to be right! Would this comply with 17th edition?

Get advise from a qualified electrician, he will be trained and qualified to bring your installation up to the required standard, I don't think you are!

Last edited:
Get advise from a qualified electrician, he will be trained and qualified to bring your installation up to the required standard, I don't think you are!

Of course I will ask the electrician to take a look, but in the meantime whats the problem in asking for guidance? Is this not the idea of the forum? Well it is on the tiling forum.....:D

Oh and just because i'm comfortable with asking for assistance, it doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about!

And just for the record i'm qualified in BS7671 16th Edition, C&G 1694 and OND & HNC electrical/electronics.

However.... i made a big career change several years back and therefore can't rely on my previouse experiance and like to ask questions!

Reply to Down lights above bath? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net