Discuss Down lights in ceiling with Kingspan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

PAD66

-
Reaction score
Been to look at a job installing some down lights in a bathroom, The ceiling is vaulted and there is Kingspan or similar insulation between the plasterboard and the roof. I can get to the various positions where the lights are going, I was thinking of fitting some thing along the lines of Halers or Cick LED lights. I Know I will need to cut away as much as possible of the Insulation, I'm concerned that this will still not be enough. Any advise would be appreciated.

I'd hazard a guess that he is referring to heat.
As most of the heat will rise vertically I'd be happy with 2" clearance horizontally providing they're 5-6W.

The manufacturers instructions come with the downlights giving minimum clearance space around fittings.
I presume the led ones wouldnt give off as much heat though than halogen so may be best to use them for a start. More expensive but its the future!

Make sure the customer knows you're going to be destroying the insulation and air tightness value of his ceiling in the process - not only will there be no insulation at those points, but you'll end up with cold air circulating from above through these holes and below the rest of the insulation as well.

This sort of practice should be banned IMO, it's such a retrograde step in energy efficiency terms, and something that can't really be fixed without ripping the entire ceiling down and starting again.

Make sure the customer knows you're going to be destroying the insulation and air tightness value of his ceiling in the process - not only will there be no insulation at those points, but you'll end up with cold air circulating from above through these holes and below the rest of the insulation as well.

This sort of practice should be banned IMO, it's such a retrograde step in energy efficiency terms, and something that can't really be fixed without ripping the entire ceiling down and starting again.

Thinking about it, it probably does breach Part L of the building regs, as the ceiling will probably not meet the minimum U values required after you've cut holes in the insulation for the lights.

23.—(1) Where a person intends to renovate a thermal element, such work shall be carried out as is necessary to ensure that the whole thermal element complies with the requirements of
paragraph L1(a)(i) of Schedule 1.

Not that this regulation ever seems to bother most sparks from what I've seen.

Not sure about the Part L, will explain to the customer. It's not a new property so I don't know if it has to comply with current requirements for insulation. Thanks for the helpful information, will put my quote in tomorrow and see what happens.

I've fit loads of these into kingspan, leave about 50mm all the way round the fitting and cut all the way through it so you have a hole. Kingspan won't ignite or smoulder with the heat from any downlighter, but if it gets hot it can smell a bit, so this is going to be your problem. If you bung LED lamps in, then all will be well anyway. The distances versus heat are contained in part 5 of BS7671.

Cheers……………Howard

and use integrated LED fittings so no numpty can replace lamps with halogen heat lamps.

Reply to Down lights in ceiling with Kingspan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net