Discuss Down/spot wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello..im new here:) im in my first year as an adult trainee and with the current situation have been working alot on my own, my work is being checked over by a qualified spark...anyway more to the point..

Im currently doing a house rewire... So far im doing the lighting...ceiling pendants.

Im moving on to the kitchen which is downlights, im taking the power the switch..the kitchen isnt the last room in the circuit...

where does power cable come from for the next room?

Sorry i am still learning
Diagrams would be amazing

Thanks

Hello..im new here:) im in my first year as an adult trainee and with the current situation have been working alot on my own, my work is being checked over by a qualified spark...anyway more to the point..

Im currently doing a house rewire... So far im doing the lighting...ceiling pendants.

Im moving on to the kitchen which is downlights, im taking the power the switch..the kitchen isnt the last room in the circuit...

Sorry i am still learning
Diagrams would be amazing

Thanks
From the plast point you have taken the live pair to, in this case the switch.

Just out of curiosity, when doing re-wires do any of you guys now put a neutral to the switch for future changes to the switch, that need a neutral. Or is it still the norm not to add one.

Just out of curiosity, when doing re-wires do any of you guys now put a neutral to the switch for future changes to the switch, that need a neutral. Or is it still the norm not to add one.
Used to loop in and out at the switch quite a bit, mainly cos of down lights or such luminaries.

The live from last light and live to next next normally go into Common on a switch, but some switches dont mark them as Common, or C... just L1 or something.
The neutrals are put into a connector, but again, some makes of switch come with a common neutral actually on the switch. It has no function, just somewhere to park the N's

Its more and more common to run L+N to switches rather than lights. Smart switches, majority need a neutral, using deeper backboxes, youve got space... (for smart switches, and dimmers, a 12mm box is no use) and the stupid design of decorative light fittings give no thought to loop in the ceiling roses. They like a simple one each of live, neutral and earth

Don’t know many domestic sparks that still 3 plaTe at the ceiling Light.
I always feed the switch now even for a pendant.
just so much easier to do all the connections in the switch

Something tells me a house rewire is a bit over the top for a trainee in their first year and with such a basic lack knowledge.

It does seem a bit worrying. Does the person who is paying for the rewire know that you are not yet trained to do it? Are you supposed to be doing this work alongside someone else?

It does seem a bit worrying. Does the person who is paying for the rewire know that you are not yet trained to do it? Are you supposed to be doing this work alongside someone else?
I mentioned in an earlier post DPG the general public don't take much notice of experience or quals as long as the price is reasonable they are willing to take a punt.

im in my first year as an adult trainee

Im currently doing a house rewire.

If you don't know how to wire a lighting circuit then you aren't ready to be carrying out a rewire without an experienced electrician mentoring you.
Having someone check it over at the end isn't good enough, they need to be monitoring what you do all of the time you are working.

Electricity kills, very quickly, and very painfully, it is not something to just keep having a go at until you get it right.

RikoD91
Unfortunately the guys are spot with their judgement that you really shouldn't be working on your own at this stage and where is your mentor in all of this ?
You really should be seeking their advice and knowledge or that of the company you are working for if that is the case.
I appreciate we all have started somewhere doing bits on our own but not without proper supervision and a good backup support in times of difficulty.

we don't know OP's actual level of skill and experience, or how well he's being supervised, for all we know, his mentor may check his work evey day or so.

But if that's the case then he wouldn't need to be asking on here surely?
i would imagine that he may just not be used to looping at switches if he had been usually using the traditional method of looping at the lights.

i would imagine that he may just not be used to looping at switches if he had been usually using the traditional method of looping at the lights.
Not much thought needed for that, though, for someone who's taking on a property rewire. It should be the 'overlooker' (electrician) running the rewire, not the 'apprentice'(1st year trainee)

If he's being instructed (daily) why would he need to ask on the forum......it only takes a phone call to the so called sparky that's overseeing the job to ask his advice and to get an immediate answer.......smells like billingsgate to me

Reply to Down/spot wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock