Discuss Downlight bulb not fitting properly in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Would appreciate any help. I have a bathroom downlight bulb where the pins are too thin for the holes in the plastic cube attached to the wire of the transformer. The other type of pins would be too thick. Is this "cube" missing a part? When the bulb blew I first noticed the pins of the bulb were just resting against the connection points using nothing but gravity! When pushing the bulb into the ceiling, it moves the "cube" too much to maintain the connection. This is obviously wrong, but I don't know what I'm missing.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I'll add a photo(s) tonight. I'm not familiar with the term 'flying lead' (even after googling still not sure). The photo should confirm this.

Thanks

Many 12V downlighters have a socket that is free to move around on wires that connect back into the light fitting. This allows the bulb to be released and drop lower so the socket can lowered with the bulb for removal etc.
The connections in these sockets can get weak and not grip the pins and can overheat and fail. So a new socket may well be required complete with the wires that are connected to it.

Have attempted to upload photos. Seems to fit Pat H description, though not sure the sockets have got bigger over time.

Downlight bulb not fitting properly IMG_0551.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Downlight bulb not fitting properly IMG_0552.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Downlight bulb not fitting properly IMG_0553.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

put a pic on your desktop.then in the forum reply click on "upload a file". then upload the pic from desktop.

Take the lamp with you to a electrical supplier and buy a new base for it
they are easy to fit and will fix your problem properly
Downlight bulb not fitting properly {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

OK you need a MR16 lamp holder. i have loads spare. can post you a couple if you pm me yourname and address.

Not sure but it looks like you have to tighten the slotted screws to hold the lamp in . Problem is if you don't get a good connection to the bulb it will keep blowing

Last edited:
Not sure but it looks like you have to tighten the slotted screws to hold the lamp in . Problem is if you don't get a good connection to the bulb it will keep blowing
I bought a thin flat headed screwdriver and tightened the screws on the bulb pins. This is now resolved. Thanks very much.

Telectrix - that was a generous offer. Much appreciated.

Reply to Downlight bulb not fitting properly in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock